Thread: Opinions on Jet 15" Bandsaw, 3HP, JWBS-15-3

Opinions on Jet 15" Bandsaw, 3HP, JWBS-15-3

I really want/need a bandsaw for my new shop. I saw that the Jet JWBS 15-3 is on sale for 10% off with free shipping from a few places the next couple of days. Prices out at about $1600 to my door. Has anyone had any experience with this saw?

There is no way I have room for 2 bandsaws in my shop, I barely have enough room for one. So I will need it to do everything from scroll work to resaw. If this saw can really resaw 14', then that is more than enough for the capacity of the rest of my tools.

I couldn't find any reviews on the quality of this saw. I know the older version of this saw wasn't stiff enough in the frame. Just not sure about this one.

Basically, I don't want to spend this much money on a tool that isn't very good and then I end up getting another saw and wasting time and money.

Don't know about the Jet you mention, but I know that just because it lists a capacity of 14" doesn't mean it will do a good job of resawing 14" boards. It's as much about the power and weight of the saw as it is about throat size.

It has a 3hp motor, which is good. My 20” Powermatic saw has a 3hp as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Don't know about the Jet you mention, but I know that just because it lists a capacity of 14" doesn't mean it will do a good job of resawing 14" boards. It's as much about the power and weight of the saw as it is about throat size.
    Ya, that's part of my concern. But I would assume 3hp and 400 or so pounds is enough. Another concern is if the spine of the saw is stiff enough. And then just the general quality of the saw.

With a general lack of reviews and feedback, I think I am going to pass on the saw.

You're in luck... see this thread.

Matt

<p>
    A 20 inch saw is what your looking for, weighing at least 200kg to do it all</p>

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    You're in luck... see this thread.

Matt
    Thanks for linking that. I actually read it, but between the three pages of buy a MiniMax advice, I missed that the OP actually bought the Jet. Well, that is one vote of confidence for the saw, even if he has only had it for a little while.

Maybe I just need to save my pennies for another 9 months or so and get a MiniMax.

Hey Jacob, did you end purchasing this Jet?