Thread: I Bought a New Car By Getting Bids from Dealers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I Bought a New Car By Getting Bids from Dealers

I bought my wife a car by sending out emails to 20 dealers. First we test drove cars at our closest dealers. She decided exactly what she wanted in a car. I decided I wanted to simplify the process. I researched a few investing and finance websites. A few people got better prices than third-party car buying sites like Costco and Truecar by emailing dealers direct. I used an email address created just for this deal. Here is what I sent out:
    ------
    Hi,
    I'm inviting you to bid on this deal.
    I am going to buy a new 2018 impreza Hatchback. This will be cash, no trade in. I want to finish the deal and to pick up the car on or before 12/15/17.

My specifications: 2018 impreza Hatchback in grey or silver. Black or dark interior.
    No options or accessories, just as basic as possible. Manual transmission.
    I am sending this request to all Subaru dealerships in a 200-mile radius. Please provide your best out-the-door price including fees taxes and licensing for a car that will be on your lot by 12/15/17 . By out the door price I mean what the check's written out for.

Please provide me with your direct phone number so I may call you if your out-the-door price is competitive. I will not take telephone bids, please provide them via email only.

Thank you,
    Andrew
    -----------------------
    About 6 or 7 dealers never responded. 5 emailed "canned" responses that had no prices. Several had prices just below msrp. 3 dealers gave prices around $18,900. I told those 3 they were all close. When one dealer asked"what price do I need to beat?" it was surprisingly easy to email back and say if you beat $18,550 I'll come in today. He said "$18,500 and we have a deal."
    I verified the vin# and that the car was on his lot. Also verified the price was "out the door" by saying I'm bring a check for $18,500 and want to sign and drive the car away in less than an hour of signing.
    Everything went as planned except it took longer than 1 hour total at the dealer.

I'm happy with the price and my wife loves her new car. Mostly the process was fun and stress free. It was especially fun and easy to deal with the dealers at my own desk!

Happy to share more details if anyone has questions.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 01-11-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford