Hello,

Need some advice. Just converted my old 3HP twin bag dust collector to a Bill Pentz inspired cyclone system. Put up ducting and I'm mostly happy with performance. My unexpected problem manifested with the vent from the cyclone going outside. I have one of those gravity flaps on my garage exterior with a PVC pipe through the brick wall. The plan was to vent the fine dust outside as I don't really have access to high quality filters and it's considerably cheaper.

However, all the noise from the motor carries outside and it's actually louder outside the garage than inside. My vent faces my neighbours and it's definitely too loud when the DC is running. I don't really have another option for vent location. My garage is insulated and the noise from inside is... still tolerable.

So the way I see it, I have two options.

1) Get the best kind of filter available here. Same as this one. Importing a clearvue wynn filter isn't an option at this point. I can then jury rig this up somehow to the cyclone exhaust.
2) Try and muffle the sound with one or more duct silencers. After some research I think I can take a page out of the HVAC book and try build some type of duct silencer. Like this and/or like this. For this I would probably get larger diameter ducting hose and maybe even insulate it?

I'm already way over budget and neither option is cheap. I'd prefer to still be able to vent outside as the filtration option doesn't really perform as well as I'd hoped when setting out for this project. I just don't know if the muffler will even work, or if it'll restrict airflow too much.

Any thoughts?