Thread: painting over glue

Lightbulb painting over glue

Hello there, My kitchen cupboards have this vacuum pressed vinyl over them. The cupboards themselves are made of MDF board and have been routered to give that classic wood panel look. The vinyl cover even has the wood grain to make it look more realistic,....but that is not important. What is important is the vinyl is curling at some edges and cracking on one drawer. With a hair dryer it is easy to take the vinyl off smoothly. This leaves a perfectly flat board with routered portions. I have sanded the flat part easily. Didn't see any glue on it....but the sandpaper gummed up quickly , indicating that the glue WAS there.
    The routered parts are much more gluey. It would be impossible (almost) to sand them by hand. There are 30 cupboards and drawers.
    I have gone to paint shop for suggestions....and they suggest a primer....either water based or oil....(or a shellac)....
    Followed by an acrylic enamel.

There are some well informed people on this forum....and so I am asking them for their opinions.

I bought myself a Dulux Rapidfinish hand held HVLP spray gun to do the job.....but maybe that is not good enough. I wanted to buy a grayco 2900 but they don't sell them in Australia....(and I don't believe they are available anymore anyway except second hand) Australia is very backward when it comes to choice.
    Your ideas....???
    inserted are pics of cupboard doors with vinylcupboard micro 1.JPGcupboard micro 2.jpg and one panel taken off without vinylcupboard 2.JPGcupboard 1.JPG All suggestions are welcome. buying new cupboards and drawers is not a favorite option.....would rather try paint first.
    Thanks
    Raelph Houghton
    Last edited by raelph houghton; 01-23-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: MORE INFO

If the remaining glue is not sticky or obviously thick and sloppy looking ; I would put my hopes in primer and avoid solvents. Glidden "Gripper" is one a number of us have used and liked.

The paint shop is on the right track here. You will get a good result if you go back to them and get the recommended primer to go under Dulux's waterborne acrylic enamel. These are architectural products but will work well in this case. The primer will tolerate the presence of the glue.

As far as your spray gun goes, you will have to give it a go. It is actually an airless not HVLP. You have a reasonable chance of it doing the job.

If you are looking for a decent set up, there is no shortage of choice. The choices won't be the same as overseas as we don't have the need for draconian restrictions on emissions that are common in the Northern hemisphere. If you are set on getting an HVLP, research the available range

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    The paint shop is on the right track here. You will get a good result if you go back to them and get the recommended primer to go under Dulux's waterborne acrylic enamel. These are architectural products but will work well in this case. The primer will tolerate the presence of the glue.

As far as your spray gun goes, you will have to give it a go. It is actually an airless not HVLP. You have a reasonable chance of it doing the job.

If you are looking for a decent set up, there is no shortage of choice. The choices won't be the same as overseas as we don't have the need for draconian restrictions on emissions that are common in the Northern hemisphere. If you are set on getting an HVLP, research the available range
    many thanks for your reply. (agree...no shortage of choice, but reading many reviews on products has left me feeling rather overwhelmed and suspicious...as those people writing about poor results with supposedly wonderful products.....are not encouraging.....and I want a professional look. I twice painted my vehicle myself with a hand held spraygun.....and the results were NOT great .... ha ha ....I look back on that experience and realize just how hard it is to do a good job with a 100-200$ spraygun. but hey....thanks for the positive attitude. I actually bought the Dulux Rapidfinisher because they have a a reputation to keep if they want to sell paint.(and it has a reputable motor)

Thank you for your reply. (I assume by solvents you were referring to trying to take the glue off)......One of my big concerns was the paint peeling from glue...but the glue is very thin...and has stayed in place for years....so I figure my only worry would be a chemical reaction between the glue and the 'topping'. "Gripper" is one product I will look at immediately....and I assume that other companies will have competitive products. IT is good to know that others have had good results with Gripper. That reinforces my positive outlook. Thanks again for your reply.