Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Domino - Center on 3/4" Stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Of course, the accessory can be used for milled stock, too (assuming the milled stock is exactly 1/2" or 3/4" as per the domiplate's spec.. which is quite an assumption to start with).

However, anyone who followed the domiplate story on Day 1 knows why or what the product was created for:

https://www.senecawoodworking.com/pr...-2-and-3-4-ply

Simon
    What assumption? All it takes is a set of calipers to check it. If you're milling lumber without using calipers you might as well go to Home Depot to buy your lumber.

I have lost count of how many threads I have read here and on the FOG about centering the Domino in use. Whether one is an advocate of this or not is of no concern to me, but it does seem odd that I have never, ever, read a thread about a similar concern when using a biscuit joiner. Is it because they pre-dated the internet and therefore everyone more or less worked it out for themselves without the input of a virtual woodworking community. It seems the question would be the same. Having never had a Lamello, but knowing it is SwissMade, is it not made to metric standards?

Not or trying to be snarky here, just curious why I have never seen it come up.

Blog Entries
    Calipers?...................Must be a production thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    What assumption? All it takes is a set of calipers to check it. If you're milling lumber without using calipers you might as well go to Home Depot to buy your lumber.
    "...to check it" against your calipers, right?

But shouldn't you be checking the thichkness against the same measurement of 3/4" (or 1/2") that was used by the domiplate manufacturer? If your 3/4" is (likely) not the same as the manufacturer's 3/4", then no matter how small the difference is, the whole argument for the centering is thrown out of the window.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Calipers?...................Must be a production thing...
    I actually use them, Jack...easier to read than the darn ruler.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"...to check it" against your calipers, right?

But shouldn't you be checking the thichkness against the same measurement of 3/4" (or 1/2") that was used by the domiplate manufacturer? If your 3/4" is (likely) not the same as the manufacturer's 3/4", then no matter how small the difference is, the whole argument for the centering is thrown out of the window.

Simon
    Have you never heard of "standards"? 3/4" is 3/4" anywhere in the world. Okay, my calipers might be off by a couple of thousandths vs. there presumably better equipment used in manufacturing, but 0.002" is truly insignificant. You can barely feel that difference in stock alignment and a couple of passes with 180 grit sandpaper removes that much anyway.

If your reasoning was valid nothing in this world would ever fit anything else, yet it does every day.

OMG - it's woodworking!!! 3/4" today is bigger or smaller tomorrow. Reference off the same face and all will be well. Add a slight off center so your eye can see the difference and mistakes are dramatically reduced in production.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    Have you never heard of "standards"? 3/4" is 3/4" anywhere in the world. Okay, my calipers might be off by a couple of thousandths vs. there presumably better equipment used in manufacturing, but 0.002" is truly insignificant. You can barely feel that difference in stock alignment and a couple of passes with 180 grit sandpaper removes that much anyway.

If your reasoning was valid nothing in this world would ever fit anything else, yet it does every day.
    I am not saying a difference of 0.002" matters in any woodworking activity. My point is if someone uses a domiplate to cut a mortise (on a 3/4" stock) that is, say, 0.010" off center, it is still off center, no matter how small that is. What difference does it make then if the off center -- without using the domiplate -- is 0.10" and not 0.010"

In other words, why spend the extra money on the jig when all that really matters is not how centered the mortises are cut.

Simon

I think my question has gone a little off the rails now.

I also use calipers, mainly at the planer though. I did switch from digital to analog fractional a couple of years ago. It's accurate enough for me without sweating the tiny measurements. I think I'm going to follow that same philosophy with the centering of the dominoes.

I am not saying a difference of 0.002" matters in any woodworking activity. My point is if someone uses a domiplate to cut a mortise (on a 3/4" stock) that is, say, 0.010" off center, it is still off center, no matter how small that is. What difference does it make then if the off center -- without using the domiplate -- is 0.10" and not 0.010"

In other words, why spend the extra money on the jig when all that really matters is not how centered the mortises are cut.

Simon
    My understanding was that the Domiplate was created more to avoid the fence moving problem thus having a string of Dominoes at different heights from the reference surface. That's what I read anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    My understanding was that the Domiplate was created more to avoid the fence moving problem thus having a string of Dominoes at different heights from the reference surface. That's what I read anyway.
    That is not what I recall about the initial aim of what this jig sought to achieve. Even the current product description on the vendor's site does not mention this "movement fix" as one of its benefits. Of course, if someone finds the accessory helps them on that score, more power to them.

I am saying people who want this accessory can have it, but not for the reason of centering the mortises, because in many cases, it does not achieve that intended goal.

Someone mentioned about better ergonomics, good for him. For me who has got used to the factory design for as long as it has come out, I find these old comments on the internet helpful to those who are buying the accessory:

- The thin line on the bottom of the Domino 500 is hard to read (for some).

- As usual, leave the Domino unplugged during the process and make sure you consider the reciprocating machinery that is exposed at the bottom. The Domiplate does not extend over this area to shield the moving machinery. Careless handling could turn your palm into mush. Unlikely but just be aware of these moving parts.

- The turning on of the Domino 500 is awkward at first so a little practice is in order. If you change width, be extra cautious when turning the Domino right side up.

I have been happy with all my Domino Joiners as is and they have produced results in pursuant with my skills and not with whether or not any third party accessory (none) is used.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 01-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I actually have done that myself, Rod...and after only a a month or so I totally hate measuring things in inches. LOL The only issue I've had is that I have to translate things back to my client in inches, but the major dimensions of the current commission more or less are at common sizing in Imperial.
    Hey Jim and Rod

Maybe a separate thread (I admit I haven't yet searched) on "going metric" your experience - I seem to be in the "in between" world due to tooling and jigs that are non-metric and my metric tools. It is easier if your key tools are European such as my Festool tools. But my Incra saw/router fence and router lift are non-metric. I thought about converting the fence but don't want to spend the money, etc. I have a special project coming up and am considering a Leigh jig.... metric or not is the key issue... any I would be interested in hearing more about the experience of both of you... Thx
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

I read it somewhere. It was probably on a forum and it sounded like enough people had an issue with the fence. I wouldn't expect any company to draw attention to an issue with their tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I read it somewhere. It was probably on a forum and it sounded like enough people had an issue with the fence. I wouldn't expect any company to draw attention to an issue with their tool.
    Festool may not want to do so, but the maker of the domiplate would sure be happy to highlight it in its product description.

I think I know the fence problem you are referring to. Which is a user error, or if you may, an issue due to lack of clear instructions from the manufacturer.

Some users experience a fence drift or movement as they tighten the fence after setting it to the desired height. That sometimes happen because they have the fence down when setting the height. The "proper" way (really an experience thing as the manual doesn't say anything about this) of setting the fence with no chance of drift is to keep the fence locked up when setting the fence height. After locking the fence at the desired height, then go ahead and unlock the fence and pull it down to the desired angle (normal operation at 90*).

This procedural explanation is hard to understand to anyone who has not handled a DJ, but those who have changed how they set the fence (with the fence locked up, not down when adjusting the height) know what that is all about.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 01-30-2018 at 3:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    Hey Jim and Rod

Maybe a separate thread (I admit I haven't yet searched) on "going metric" your experience - I seem to be in the "in between" world due to tooling and jigs that are non-metric and my metric tools. It is easier if your key tools are European such as my Festool tools. But my Incra saw/router fence and router lift are non-metric. I thought about converting the fence but don't want to spend the money, etc. I have a special project coming up and am considering a Leigh jig.... metric or not is the key issue... any I would be interested in hearing more about the experience of both of you... Thx

There have been a few threads, but sometimes a flame-resistant suit has been required. Some people are absolutely set in their ways. And that's just fine. The short answer to your question is yes, having tools that embrace the measuring system you choose to use is very helpful in the transition. I was personally covered there with Festool and Minimax...and some of my measuring/layout tools. The biggest frustration for me has been the dearth of metric tooling, but honestly, it doesn't matter much. Committing to it was also scare, but absolutely the way to go. Once you use it consistency for a month or three...the habit may stick.

The question is somewhat related to this thread, however, given that the scales on the tool in question are setup for metric...but in the end, it honestly doesn't matter what system you use because the majority of measurements have to be taken directly on the project and it doesn't care. And for a Domino, metric depth is fine no matter what simply because that's what the dominos, themselves are scaled to. And as been noted multiple times, working from reference faces eliminates any care about tight measurements for this kind of tool. Someone already mentioned that it effectively didn't matter for biscuits either, and I agree.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...