Thread: Generosity!

Generosity!

I have a 30'x24' stand alone shop which is not bad for an amateur woodworker/turner but due to clutter and a lack storage racks/shelves about 20% of it wasn't useable as I had stuff stacked on the floor. Last week after returning from Wyoming, I decided it was time to organize and do a general cleaning so I could begin finishing a couple projects after minimizing the possible dust contamination sources.

After building a storage rack, I began unboxing turning blanks, and materials I had received from all over the country and even from at least one foreign country (Japan). I was amazed! Names I didn't recognize, places of which I had never heard......Fishing Creek, NJ......Blaine, WA...........Winchester, KY.....Ft. Worth, TX..and many more.

A number of years ago, a now deceased Creeker turner, Andy Hoyt, mistook a comment by me and mistakenly thought that as I was building my shop, I couldn't afford a lathe. At Andys urging, the turners here at SMC, took up a collection and bought me a Jet VS mini, tools and guys from around the country sent me blanks.....bottle stopper blanks....pen blanks......sealed bowl blanks.... I turned for a number of years on the now, infamous "Diving Board" which was the Jet VS mini mounted on a 2"x12" sitting on 2 halves of a Little Giant ladder. Later I bought a PM3520B, retired the Jet VS Mini and then paid-it forward to a CPO on active duty in Colorado Springs, CO.

Today as I found some of those as yet, unused turning blanks and materials, I was reminded of the incredible generosity of the turners here at SMC.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-29-2018 at 2:14 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great story Ken! Thanks for sharing it!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ken,
    I sure remember that story. It's been a while....Lots of benevolence hare at the Creek....
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.