Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any preference in 3HP fixed based routers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    if that router/controller combination was the Milwaukee router this would be a no brainer as that switch/speed control would be very nice to have but looking at the router and the wrenches i too am thinking that's not a Milwaukee router. Just a guess.
    Before you plunk down your money on the switch with the speed control, check carefully...historically, these speed controls cannot be used with multi-speed/soft-start routers and other similar tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim - exactly - being curious I went and looked at JessEm's site and it looks like they now only sell the controller with their router. The controller sold by Rockler clearly states as you say "no multi-speed/soft-start routers."
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

I don't find the speed control being on the router too much trouble as I rarely change it and then only because I'm going to use a really big cutter for a panel which only happens (historically) in about one decade increments. I just reach in the door and do it by feel. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Before you plunk down your money on the switch with the speed control, check carefully...historically, these speed controls cannot be used with multi-speed/soft-start routers and other similar tools.
    This set is designed to work together, they come as a paired unit ... they work great! Typically third party units – such as those from Rockler or Woodcraft – don't.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

They are all good. People will just tell you they like theirs; I like my MW, but if I had a PC I would like that.
    Buy the cheaper one, the prettier one, whatever; in a few months it won't matter which you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    This set is designed to work together, they come as a paired unit ... they work great! Typically third party units – such as those from Rockler or Woodcraft – don't.
    Sorry, Bill...I guess I didn't catch that.
    --

Very Happy with my Milwaukee...Excellent performance for 5 or 6 years
    Jerry

I prefer the older version of the single speed 7519 without the soft start (one in the router table and an old one on the shelf for a backup), but I rarely run anything larger than a medium rabbet cutter, and that not very often. For anything big I use the shaper.

Blog Entries
    I’ve been running a Mileaukee 5625 for years. All it does is work.

Like jim mentioned I really don’t modify the speed unless I’m cutting raised panel doors which is only occasionally

Ordered the MW so now I should have two sets of matching wrenches

Those are expensive wrenches, Bob... (Congrats!)
    --

I liked my 5625 a lot, but it had one fatal flaw. The height adjustment mechanism was plastic and it tended to slip during in table the adjustments. I also experienced a couple of bearing failures with it. This i forgive because I did run it especially hard. My PC has been unstoppable for well over a decade, though due to it's lack of under table adjustment, it never got ridden quite as hard.

It's interesting if you buy the PC from Amazon, you don't get the collett that's an additional charge???
    If you go to Zoro anything priced over $352.00, which this router is, has a 25% discount!!! With free shipping. BUT, the program ends today Feb. 1, 2018. So the $352.00 Milwaukee comes in at $264.00
    The Porter-Cable 3-1/4 HP Router Motor Only Model #75182

$299.99 at Woodworkers Supply

for what it's worth,
    Ed

Love my PC7518 in an Incra table/lift (which I think is really a Jessem lift). The router installs in the lift without problem and I have had no problems with it to date. I like that Jessem switch but doubt it would control speed on the 7518. I'll have to check on that though. It would be a big improvement to my router table.

Randy, the Jessem speed control/switch won't work with the PC 7518 or any other router with soft start or variable speed . In fact, I don't think Jessem even sells the switch separately. They sell a simple on/off switch but not the speed controller.