Thread: "Maloof Joint" - design and bits

"Maloof Joint" - design and bits

I am beginning the process of a Maloof style chair, probably will start with a stool to work out the bugs. Anyway in looking around I have a question about the "Maloof Joint."

In looking around it seems builders and sellers of plans (Brock, Morrison, and Canadian Woodworks) all make what I will call a simplified Maloof Joint in that they don't use the 5 degree rabbet bit, see the link:

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...nd=Maloof+bits

Whiteside says that the bits with the 5 degree were copied from Maloof bits that were custom made. I can see where the 5 degree might provide better joint locking but also more difficult. Wondering if even Maloof perhaps evolved away from this approach over time.

Also, online you find lots of folks showing and explaining how to make the "Maloof Joint" but I have not seen the 5 degree bits used. I don't think the method would be any different but I'm not sure.

Anyway, can anyone offer insight to the history and more importantly what they are doing? Also would be interesting if anyone has used the 5 degree approach?

Thx
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Bill,
    I am curious what you find out. I would like to build a Maloof rocker and stools as well. Bob

Blog Entries
    If your interested in another design, google "brazos Rocker". It doesn't compare with the Maloof rocker.
    I made one out of mesquite about 20 years ago. It sits in my living room.

I have the Morrison DVD and have made his templates from his blueprints. He does use the tapered bits and with careful thought they make a 5 degree taper. IMHO if you buy the instructions (DVD) and templates the chair is not difficult to make. I use the Whiteside bits and they make a beautiful joint. Haven't heard of Sam shying away from this joint but from all the pictures of his chairs I haven't seen evidence of it. Just my thoughts

Thx Ron, I will check that out and probably do as you suggest. What is interesting in that in all the online videos that I have found, none use the 5 degree bits.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Ron

in looking at Morrison’s website it says he has now adopted his new Butterfly joint which s sexy and doesn’t require special bits. Not seeing the details I assume it is a sculpted version of the modified Maloof Joint.

I’m going to email him and will let folks know.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Interesting. Looking forward to hearing his reply

OK guys, reporting back on what I found:

This is Scott's response:

"Thanks for the email. Yes, the Whitesude bits were designed by me and are authentic Maloof bits. In fact, Sam himself used them as well after I designed them and authorized Whiteside to manufacture them.

1. All Maloof designs use some variation of the joint, but only the rockers need the 5 degree bits. All others use only the straight bit. Sam used his joint until his passing.

2. I no longer use the Butterfly joint because it also requires a custom bit which was very expensive to manufacture in the small quantities I needed. Thus, all of my videos used the Maloof joint.

3. Although my Butterfly joint was my personal favorite for obvious reasons, the only difference between it and the Maloof joint we’re purely aesthetic. Both were extremely strong and easy to use.

Hope this helps Bill. Let me know if you need anything else. "

Also, in further research, in the Maloof article in FWW #25 it shows his joint which appears to be more of "Leg wraps around and into the seat" rather than the more defined mortise and tenon joint that everyone seems to make now.

Anyway, now we know. I guess I get back to planning a couple of stool projects. May try to use the 5 degree joint for practice.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming