Thread: Different Woods

Different Woods

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Was curious if most of you used a different wood for the sides and back of a drawer for it's visual effect, cost effectiviness, or some other reason I am not aware of.

I am making a table out of mahogany with a drawer centered in the apron. I was planning on making the sides and back of the drawer out of maple, but due to a malfunction of my tape measure, (surely it wasn't me reading it wrong!), I now have a bunch of scrap mahogany that I can use.

So, is it design, cost, or visual appeal?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.

Tom,
    For me it would be none of the above. The drawer sides take a lot of wear and tear during use so I want a hardwood that is going to stand up to the use and not waist something that can be used in a better way. I have used maple for runners, and sides along with poplar. Po[lar is quite common for drawer runners, sides, and bottoms.

Mahogany would certainly work for the drawer sides and back, but I usually go with a contasting color wood for the look and cost. Maple is a good choice as is oak or quartersawn sycamore. Poplar is also a good choice if cost is the main concern. Any of the these woods give reasonably good dimensional stability.

I just like the traditional look of poplar for the side. I usually build in cherry or mahogany so the poplar stands out well.

Richard

For drawer parts of real, working drawers, I favor hard maple. It is hard, wears well, and is usually a contrast to the other woods I am working with. I tis pretty easy to find hard maple with a regular grain, which is a big advantage when fitting a drawer.

Interestingly, it is not the most stable of woods, IMHO, but still it is to me the right wood for the task. I also use hard maple for the drawer runners.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thanks for he responses.

Going to use hard maple for the sides, back, and runners. The contrast will look good. Plus I am going to *attempt* to join it with sliding dovetails. That should make a nice looking drawer. If I can control the blowout. And if I can set the router right.

We'll see, I have not yet attempted any type of dove tail yet.
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Conger
    Plus I am going to *attempt* to join it with sliding dovetails. If I can control the blowout. .

You're doing overlay fronts? At the least, the fronts have to be wider than the drawer box and the sides longer than the case allows...unless you're thinking a dovetail rabbet. The sliding dovetail to join the front to the sides isn't traditionally used with webframe casework/flush fit drawers....and because of the need to have the front wider than the drawer box, isn't the most efficient design for maximizing storage space in casework. Use of a sliding dovetail to join the back to the sides isn't unusual....though a dado was more common, I think.

Regarding blow out when routing the sliding dovetails - keep your drawer stock wider than finished width...rout the dovetails and then rip to final width kist (how about, 'just' ) before assembly. This will have you rip any blowout off the boards....and for the fronts, you may find you get blowout both entering and exiting while routing.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I've used soft maple as well as poplar with good results. The costs are not very different.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb