Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Keith, in between these posts, I noted another thread started:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26188

I think I kind of agree with Rob's suggestion of just putting that info in a person's "Public Profile". We're ALL "contributors" here, in some way, shape or form. I certainly wouldn't want a "newbie" or someone not in the position to donate right now to feel badly about not having that particular tag on all their posts. Just MHO...
    John,

We discussed the new titles during the fund drive a few weeks ago. Allen Grimes and Keith Foster are right on target concerning having a visual reminder for new Members that we are now a Member Supported Community. By now everyone should know that I am not one to ask people to donate and I don't push for people to purchase hats and other Stuff. I also am against blatent advertising here at SMC. I think the Contributors title is a reasonable compromise and a small reward to those who were able to support SMC and keep the waters flowing.

Now we have our own private server and if we use our funds carefully should be able to do more than we ever could have done before. We can bring back the Chat server, start working toward a first class shop tours area that is accessible to our Members to make changes and upgrades and many more new services. Aaron is pretty innovative when he is motivated

Below is my response to Shiraz in the other thread, check the remark about the real jewel here at SMC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiraz,

The donate button isn't working right now, we lost our original sponsor, Hampton Roads Online, and I have taken over hosting SMC in my workshop. The donations link will be changed shortly, I can't accept credit cards but you can use PayPal (sales@northwindassociates.com) or send a check to the address below if you would like to donate funds toward our monthly expenses.

As the Founder and Owner of SMC I have assigned Aaron Koehl as our System Administrator. Aaron is responsible for both the server administration and the forum software. Aaron also has the last word concerning implementation of our TOS and changes to our Forums.

My wife Jackie Outten also has Admin responsibility, keeps the books and pays the bills. Jackie also is very active helping our Members when she can with username and password issues.

All of our Forums have Moderators assigned to assist our Members with problems and provide the necessary hands on guidence when necessary to keep things working as smooth as possible.

Most importantly our Members share in the overall administration in that we are a Self-Moderated community. Every message that is posted publicly is reviewed by our Members to assure it is in accordance with our TOS and meets our Community standards.

When we lost our Primary Sponsor last month we became a Member Supported Community. We don't collect dues or subscription fees, those who are able to donate are encouraged to do so, as long as we can pay our monthly expenses SMC will continue. Of course all of our Members contribute in one way or another, the information contained in our Forums is the real jewel here and the friendship that flows is a real nice bonus as well.

SawMillCreek Woodworkers Forums
    c/o Northwind Associates
    8770 Little England Rd.
    Hayes, VA 23072

Well, I guess I'm going against the grain, but here is my $0.02 worth. I think there should be some sort of recognition right where it is now. This would let new visitors know that this is a self supporting board.

I don't think we need to worry about making people feel bad about not contributing. Should NPR and PBS suspend their pledge drives because someone might feel bad? Since we don't have organized pledge drives, it would seem that constant reminders would be a good thing.

If someone can't afford to contibute to SMC, they can understand that and it's no problem. If they can afford to but decline, if that makes them feel bad, then that's their choice. If their anguish results in them joining, so much the better. Don't want them to suffer needlessly, do we? We don't know their circumstances, so should not form judgements of them based on whether they have contributed or not.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup

Anyway, that's my $1.398 worth of opinion.

Karl
    Why does Karl get a $1.398 worth of an opinion and the rest of us only get $ .02?
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.

Keith, Dan,
    I too don't have any issues with the method selected, although, I am still waiting to see the accounting of what was taken in and how it will be allocated.

Thumbs up

Seems reasonable enough to me for such a great service. My donation to follow shortly. And why not give a little reconginition where deserved.

Keep up the good work.
    If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Conger
    Why does Karl get a $1.398 worth of an opinion and the rest of us only get $ .02?
    My opinion is kinda like Canadian money Tom, it takes more to equal the same thing.

No offense to our Canadian friends.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Go For It

I think that the contributor designation is OK, but to John's point all that post are "contributors" so maybe we can use something like "Supporter" or "Donor" or "Patron"?

Maybe when someone registers the system could send them a PM along the lines of something like this.

Welcome to SMC! This is a member supported community of like minded individuals interested in all things related to woodworking. The principal currency in this forum is participation, we welcome your views and opinions and pictures! Please take a moment to read the Terms of Service.

Membership is free. Yet, we do have to pay our bills like any other enterprise. If you believe that you are receiving value from SMC, we welcome your financial support. Our guideline amount is $5.00 per year. Donations of any amount are greatfully accepted. (Insert Payment Details Here)

Come on in, the water is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    My opinion is kinda like Canadian money Tom, it takes more to equal the same thing.
    Karl
    Karl, have you checked the exchange rate recently?
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Jay seems to have a good script for a welcome letter/solicitation. The designation of contributor reinforces the need and the desired action.

I'm in favor of both ideas. TJH
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Foster
    Well, when I first logged on this morning the words "2005 Contributor" were directly under my name. But when I posted this thread it was gone. Found a couple of other names with the notation that had not logged on or posted yet. Kinda a "hide and seek" game!
    That Hide and Seek game is going on with me as well.
    At first it was there, then when I post, it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    Just make it a paid members only site & be done with it.
    Chris, I fear that this would drive many many members away. And, it would certainly discourage new members. Most folks have to hang around for a while before they can determine whether or not Saw Mill Creek is something that they woould like to contribute to.

Our recent "contribution drive" proved that a move to a "Paid Members Only" site is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    That Hide and Seek game is going on with me as well.
    At first it was there, then when I post, it was gone.
    Seems mine found me again!
    Although now that I've said something it will probably disappear again.
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    I think that the contributor designation is OK, but to John's point all that post are "contributors" so maybe we can use something like "Supporter" or "Donor" or "Patron"?
    !
    I like "donor" better than "contributor". There are definately non-financial ways to contriute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Maybe when someone registers the system could send them a PM along the lines of something like this.

Welcome to SMC! This is a member supported community of like minded individuals interested in all things related to woodworking. The principal currency in this forum is participation, we welcome your views and opinions and pictures! Please take a moment to read the Terms of Service.

Membership is free. Yet, we do have to pay our bills like any other enterprise. If you believe that you are receiving value from SMC, we welcome your financial support. Our guideline amount is $5.00 per year. Donations of any amount are greatfully accepted. (Insert Payment Details Here)

Come on in, the water is fine!
    Greate idea Jay! I would not change one word of what you have proposed.

OK now guys - that just ain't right. LOL!

It's a cookie thing evidently. I first logged on this morning at work and there it was. Posted once and it was gone.

So, now I'm at home and I log in and low and behold - it's back. Make a post and BAM! Gone again! I think I'm getting dizzy!
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Foster
    Seems mine found me again!
    Although now that I've said something it will probably disappear again.
    Mine seems to come and go too. Most confusing