Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transparent accountability

Question Transparent accountability

Help me understand why I seem to be the only member asking for transparent, periodic updates of how much money was collected through donations and how the funds will be allocated. I am not asking for detailed accountability for every penny collected, but I am asking for a high level breakdown.
    When any organization takes in funding from members, or any source, there is a responsibility to publish, in a timely manner, how much was collected and the intentions for spending those funds.
    Keith and Jackie Outen, and Aaron Koehl (and anyone else I don't know about) are doing an outstanding job of running/maintaining, and improving this site.
    I don't want anyone to think this is a personel attack on Keith, Jackie or anyone else it is not. As a supporting member of this community, I feel we all should have this information.
    If I am way off base with my position, I would be happy to be recalibrated (although I don't believe I am).

Patience

`Dan, I am dead sure you are going to get what you are asking for. If I recall correctly, Keith asked for a little time to recover from the closing of his business, and transition to his new endeavor. Let's give him that that time.

I do want to add one more thought. Just today Keith referred to this as a member supported forum. So it is, but the $1500 or so the members are contributing toward the fees to put the forum on the internet are only a small part of what it costs in volunteer labor of Keith, Jackie, and Aaron to keep it in operation.

I am sure in due time we'll have the answers you and the rest of us are looking for.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I think you have a legitimate point and I am sure that the information you are interested in will be available in good time. This is a volunteer activity and I'm sure these folks have other obligations as well as SMC. There was a flood of donations and I expect that Keith, Jackie et al simply haven't had the time to do a full and accurate accounting yet. Running a board like this is a very time-consuming operation and things may not happen as fast or as formally as in the business world. Basically, they have to set up an entirely new accounting system for SMC and that may take a little while. I'm willing to be very patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Oliphant
    Help me understand why I seem to be the only member asking for transparent, periodic updates of how much money was collected through donations and how the funds will be allocated. I am not asking for detailed accountability for every penny collected, but I am asking for a high level breakdown.
    When any organization takes in funding from members, or any source, there is a responsibility to publish, in a timely manner, how much was collected and the intentions for spending those funds.
    Keith and Jackie Outen, and Aaron Koehl (and anyone else I don't know about) are doing an outstanding job of running/maintaining, and improving this site.
    I don't want anyone to think this is a personel attack on Keith, Jackie or anyone else it is not. As a supporting member of this community, I feel we all should have this information.
    If I am way off base with my position, I would be happy to be recalibrated (although I don't believe I am).
    Patience my good friend. We just got data keyed into the database and I'm still working on the widget to post the funds. Updating user titles is the first step.

Working as I have time!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Dan, I agree with Carl. While I would like to have an idea of how much was taken in (more to have an idea of the level of support than accountibility) and what plans are being made to continue the creek, I also recall that Keith is in the process of closing the books on one business and moving everything into his shop. I really feel that SMC is more a labor of love for the Outens and Aaron and think that as soon as they can get their "bread and butter" affairs in order they will give SMC and its members a report concerning the future of SMC.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Patience, Is fine, but so is communication. A general understanding of what is going on is in order. Even a simple timeline of tasks isn't asking too much.

Dan,

I think we all will get this information as soon as it is available. Many gave mention when they donated that they gave freely to keep the site operational and didn't really need an accounting. It was enough that Keith and company kept the site going. I don't want to put any pressure on those folks to hurry the process when they are dealing with many more pressing matters. That's the way I feel and I'm sure many feel the same way. I'm curious as to how much we raised, but I don't need to know. The site is still on, and seems to be improved. I fully understand your feelings, but I think the answer to your question is that many of us trust the fine folks who founded and run the site. That's enough for me.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Cecil,
    Even if the time and effort is all "a labor of love" or all volunteer in nature, (we, I don't know this) once an organization takes funding from the members or public, there has to be an acceptance from those receiving the funds that prompt, clear and direct communication is required as to how the funding is to be used. As I stated above, a simple timeline of tasks with rough order of costs is not asking too much nor does it require a lot of time. Keith and company already have this info and are executing the tasks now.

When I make a donation to my local youth footbal team I don't demand to know where it went! I just know it went to a good cause and I am happy. SMC is NOT a non-profit (freedom pens is, but not SMC, that I know of) so they have no legal obligation to tell us where the funds go. I was not told when I donated that this information would be provided so I will not demand that it is.

I have been here for a little while and have come to understand that SMC as a whole is a very trustworth place!! The members here don't stand for SPAM and other posts that don't follow the TOS. All in all it is a great place run by even better people!!

I for one, trust the admins with my money and don't need to know the details. However, I can see how it would be useful to some and I am sure the numbers will be on their way soon.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Well I'm sure not dwelling on it. I have too much other stuff to worry about. Not a concern for me, even though I and a lot of others donated to keep the Creek afloat.
    And I don't feel it's really any of my business.

My subscription to FWW costs about the same as what I contributed and I don't ask FWW to account for my subscription. While it'd be nice to eventually see how the donated money gets spent, I'd rather see Keith et al working on spending the money rather than accounting for it. If they've said they post something about it when they can, that works for me.

I'm not going to fret about it until something is posted. I'm certainly not going to push for a schedule and all that.

JMO.

Rob

I'm interested in hearing about how much was raised by John's call to action, but I definitely don't think that Keith & crew are obligated to tell us by any means. I recall Keith mentioning that they were very busy with their business closing and other things and think they deserve the time to take care of that and any other priorities as they see fit.

To all our friends at sawmillcreek

The last month or so have been very difficult, frustrating, and tiring for both Keith and myself. The requests for donations to keep sawmillcreek running and the closing of our business have taken up what little extra time that Keith and I have. Most of you don't know but I was offered a teaching position in the business department of our local high a week and half before we were supposed to close the business. I had not planned on starting so soon but they wanted the kids to have a regular teacher instead of continuing with a substitute. Keith was very supportive and told me to go ahead and start my teaching job which left him with all the responsiblity of closing the office. Between his regular job, trying to close the office, his sign business, shipping freedom pens and my trying to adjust to teaching 7 different classes we have barely had time to breathe. Things are getting a little better each day. I am not using this as an excuse--it's just the way that things have been. We will provide the information you are requesting. I am getting it all together now. Just keep in mind that sawmillcreek is not a nonprofit organization and that we will be taxed on whatever money we receive. All I ask at this point in time is for you to continue to be patient as we get this information together. We just need a little time to catch our breath.

If you have contributed but contributor is not showing up under your name please let me know. I have tried to make sure that I have taken care of everyone but I am sure that I have probably missed some of you. Just send me a private message and I will take care of it.

Jackie

I say take all the time you need. I'm interested in the information, but I'll live with out it just fine. I think we can all see that there are some changes being made, and we know that Keith and Jackie's lives have been turned upside down. Heck, unless making a post triggers something, my contributor title hasn't even shown up yet, but who cares?? Let's all have a good weekend and make some saw dust! Jim.

Dan, don't mean to appear as though we're all "jumping on you" but, this organization has been through a LOT in the last couple of months. Give them some time to sort all this out. Keith & Co. told us they would get the figures to us and, whether it's really of any consequence or not, I believe they will. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me (or probably most of us here) if that happens this week or next month or next year or, for that matter, at all! The figures aren't going to change, albeit I don't doubt the donations may rise! If/when our gracious hosts decide to do it, so be it. Let's not waste a whole lot of time cycles thrashing the point around. Sawdust awaits!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!