Thread: Downed Urban Trees to Woodworkers?

Downed Urban Trees to Woodworkers?

I once read of an organization that worked to persuade city governments to make lumber cut from downed trees available to woodworkers. I'd appreciate any information you may have on such a group. Thanks.

There was a segment on one of the woodworking or home improvement shows that mentioned some people in Florida who were collecting Mahogany of all things, from downed trees in that area. You might check the TOH or NYWS web sites. to see if they have any information.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Idyllwild CA Southern Ca in the mountians 100 miles east of LA
    Cal Hardwood in Auburn CA. They deal in recycled trees from Sacramento and suroundung areas. I live in southern CA and dirve up there 4/5 times a year just to get recycled wood. Dave and Chris are the owners, if you stop by tell them Jim Schmoll gave you there location.

Idyjim
    Last edited by Jim Schmoll; 11-12-2005 at 1:24 AM.

In Northern California, where you live,
    http://www.recycletrees.org/index.html. (I have to admit I don't understand the mailing address shown on that web site. They used to be in north Oakland.)

Wood Magazine did an article on this a few years ago. I don't recall the year, month or issue, but they do have an online index on their site.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Harvesting Urban Timber

Sam Sherrill's book Harvesting Urban Timber is great reading on this topic and mentioned an organization for this purpose. The log is a small fraction of the cost of retail lumber. harvestingurbantimber.com may provide some information.

You might want to google "sawmill". Google has a map feature so you can make your search local. Seems to pull info from phone listings as well as web.

Good luck. I wish I could convert tree service logs to retail lumber on a grand scale.

More resources:
    Sawmill websites often have forums such as Logosol and Woodmizer.
    Yahoo Group called "milling"
    Last edited by Bob Stroman; 11-12-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schmoll
    Cal Hardwood in Auburn CA. They deal in recycled trees from Sacramento and suroundung areas. I live in southern CA and dirve up there 4/5 times a year just to get recycled wood. Dave and Chris are the owners, if you stop by tell them Jim Schmoll gave you there location.

Idyjim
    Jim, do you have any contact info (web site?) for Cal Hardwoods? I've 'googled' them but found nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hemenway
    Jim, do you have any contact info (web site?) for Cal Hardwoods? I've 'googled' them but found nothing.
    http://www.californiahardwood.com/

This probably won't help ya in N. Cali, but for those in the midwest, the Southeast MI RC&D Council has been exploring urban wood waste utilization options. Check www.semircd.org for info.

Thanks for the useful responses. This has given me much that I need. cheers.

It is a great idea... most downed wood is chipped now in cities and then given away as "mulch" Hardwoods that make great furniture are often the worst woods for mulch... they rot. Where I live, Maple is big as is Oak and I imagine even some fine figured maple is being chipped somewhere as I write this...

Here is an urban sawmill in Ontario that may interest you.

http://www.urbantreesalvage.com/