Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 days to delivery -finish help

The problem with both oil based and waterborne varnishes is that they need 3-4 weeks to fully cure to the point where they can take some abuse. They will be dry and partially cured within 4-5 days but the surface must be protected from heat, abrasion or other abuse.

Conversion products cure much faster but they must be sprayed to get a good finish.

Standard lacquers will dry/cure fast but they do not have the durability that you will get with the above. However, most commercial furniture is finished with lacquer and it stands up pretty will. Again, most lacquers are sprayed.
    Howie.........

I would ask a couple of questions... What type of wood is it? Cherry, Mahog, Jatoda?? And also, what do you want the finished product to "feel" like? Do you want the natural feel of wood or do you want it "encased" in plastic? You can tell which camp I am in... I would go with the General Finishes... Arm R Seal... easy, durable and fast as anything... also you can touch it up with ease.

Just a thought - if a sprayed conversion varnish is the best finish for the application but you're not setup to spray, is there a larger cabinet shop in the area that you could subcontract the finish spray to?

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I have used Waterlox, thinned 50/50 with VM&P Naptha and have been able to get as many as 4 coats on in a day. Of course, it takes more coats to build when it's this thin, but there is little or no sanding between coats. Thinned like this, the stuff dries to the touch almost instantly. Just wipe it on with an old t-shirt for absolutely no runs or brush marks.

Thanks for the input...I ended up with wipe on Poly, and I think I will get enough coats on by Thursday this week. Delivery is next Tuesday so that should give it enough to dry.

What I did learn is not to try a new product at the last hour...I am going to go out and get some of the products which you all suggested, so next time I will be better prepared.

On a side note, I cleaned my shop today for about 6 hours, it was a mess...but now it looks so nice and orderly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail O'Rourke
    On a side note, I cleaned my shop today for about 6 hours, it was a mess...but now it looks so nice and orderly.
    There are no pictures, therefore it did not happen.

(Or so they tell me...maybe you get more slack around here.)