Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chipped router bit: opinions?

I would definitely not use a router bit that was chipped. The RPM is so high I don't think it's worth the risk. My 2 pennies.

If the chipping is in only one cutting edge, then it's a material defect, unless you dropped it, or it hit something in storage. If it's in both edges, then you hit something, and it's on you. Call if it's only one edge. They are going to either say yes, or no if you ask for replacement, but they won't if you don't ask.

I'd toss it but keep the bearing. Cove bits like that are common and not that expensive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The brand new bit I bought would come with that exact chip and need to be returned for replacement. Let the dealer sort it out with the mfg.

Jay,
    The bit chipped and you have no easy way to see if it's structurally sound. Routers turn very fast and if another piece should come off, you've got shrapnel. If you can afford to replace it, I wouldn't take a chance. But that's just me.

I also agree with others that said call Eagle.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I remember seeing a TV program a few years ago, in which they visited a factory in the US making router bits. One could infer from the show that this factory made bits for several different brands, as they showed a step in which they described painting them in different colors, etc. So perhaps Eagle and Whiteside are made in the same place, possibly different specs?

Jay

I wouldn't use it. The risk of another piece coming off is there. Might not happen, but it could.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I'd run it.
    I would not consider it a defect either. Bad carbide will either come off clean (bad braise) or never make it through the grinding/sharpening process.

I would not worry about the balance until the bit started talking to me.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

it's a tool - if it still works (acceptable cut quality & vibration) then keep using it till it no longer works then discard

The idea that this is somehow dangerous is absolutely ridiculous.

I'll second the balance comment. It's not worth the risk. Pitch and replace.

So, would we all toss out our single flute bits?

No need to. Single flute bits are balanced when manufactured.

Are they still balanced after a couple of sharpenings?
    BTW, the vast majority of router bits are never balanced. Manufacturers toss around the term like they actually have some guy grinding a little off the heavy side. They are simply manufactured to a spec that, if held, should run balanced enough to not cause excess vibration.

Thanks for all of the perspective. Putting aside cut quality, which would be readily apparent if it is an issue, here's a summary.

Several mentioned vibration due to imbalance, with potential damage to the router bearings.

Several mentioned that this chip might portend further bits of carbide flying off.

Several said "what, me worry?" Run it unless there is evident imbalance or poor cut quality.

As usual, no clear consensus. I wonder what Pat Warner would have said. Being on the cautious side, I will probably replace it. And, although I am pretty darn careful with my bits, I probably did whack that bit on something hard somewhere along the way. So I wouldn't feel right asking for a replacement.