Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chipped router bit: opinions?

Jay

Probably something like 99.9% of the time, things like this work out and nothing really happens. You could probably use that bit for years with no ill effects, but why?
    Knowingly working with defective, and or broken, tools is foolish. I don't care what kind of tool it is, or what it does.
    You're making the prudent decision, and I'm fairly certain Pat would have told you to replace it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I replaced this bit with Whiteside #1805. The two bits look exactly alike; except for the chip, of course. So maybe Whiteside did make the one for Eagle America.

I would probably have replaced it... or not, given that I have a two flute straight bit with a chunk outta one tip that I've been using until I get around to replacing it. (Everytime I think about picking up a replacement, I don't recall what size it is!!)

I would not use it in a router table, especially with a PC690. I had a solid carbide straight bit break on me in my router table, with the PC690 mounted. Have the bit fell down... into the router. Dead router. Solid hard chunkies dropping into the spinning spinny guts of a router tends to puree the spinny guts. okay, maybe not puree, but y'all get the idea. Would a wee chip like the OP lost do the same? Don't know, wouldn't want to find out with my own router.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I just had a similar issue. The Freud straight bit lost a chunk of carbide at the end. On examination and comparison to a similar Whiteside, the Whiteside clearly has better support behind the carbide. I am smarter and will look closer when buying.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

I hate to admit that I haven't read all the responses but I feel pretty certain many of them said unbalanced, high-speed bits cause annoying and counter-productive vibration. I agree with them.