Thread: Tool handle finish question

Tool handle finish question

What do you folks who make your own tool handles prefer for finish?

I leave my handle unfinished. I prefer the feel of the wood when I am using them.
    Joe

I made several handles early on and I sanded to 220, laid on a couple coats of dewaxed shellac (Seal Coat) on the lathe, buffed most of that off with 0000, and ended up with a nice, smooth handle that still had a very grippable surface. The shellac soaked into the wood and seemed to keep the handles cleaner in appearance than they would have been left unfinished.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I prefer unfinished. Over time it'll become polished and worn in by my hands and the patina-ed look of well used tools just appeals to me for whatever reason.

I use either BLO or Teak oil. For the teak oil I start with a 50/50 mix with mineral spirits so I get a good penetration, allow it to dry overnight and the next day apply one more coat. If I decide I want a shiny finish I apply more coats over the next few days. The teak oil has some varnish in it, so several coats will build up to a shiny finish. On the BLO I again mix 50/50 for the first coat, apply a second coat a couple of days later, allow to dry then a little beeswax is applied.

I have some that are unfinished, but if I do finish, I will put on some walnut oil... I do have a couple of figured maple handles on my Big Ugly tools, and I think I put some wipe on poly on them, but most of the time I just grab what ever is handy for handles.

robo hippy

What ever I have handy. I have used poly, sanding sealer, CA/BLO & some that are unfinished. I wouldn't be able to pick the one I like best.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    What ever I have handy. I have used poly, sanding sealer, CA/BLO & some that are unfinished. I wouldn't be able to pick the one I like best.
    I wind rope around the handle for texture and to get the diameter I want
    Covered by hockey tape for grip.

seriously!

Oh!
    if you want it to look pretty, maybe don’t follow my lead.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    What do you folks who make your own tool handles prefer for finish?
    I don't like a film finish. I soak some Watco "danish" oil into the wood, just because. But more important to me than the finish is texturing for a better grip. I use whatever I feel like at the moment, texturing tools, turned textures, carved textures.

handle_adapters.jpg Handle_adpater_brass_01.jpg Handle_adpater_alum_IMG_6001.jpg

I was taught to leave them unfinished.. Fewer blisters and tools sliding around in your hands...

The honest truth is that I don't really use my chisels this hard... I haven't got blisters from using any of my chisels... Not even my Rasps - I have not had a problem with my Auriou rasps which ship with finished handles...

but I don't finish my tool handles in homage to a retired, crotchety old British pattern maker who told me not to..

Unfinished, sanded to 180. like the feel.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

This is good info, hadn't thought about not finishing. Seems to be a preference for either unfinished or something that's not glossy. I appreciate any extra comments.

A finished handle is easier to get blood off . DAMHIKT
    Fred

I'm with Sid. I use whatever is handy. I am partial to oil-varnish because it's so easy to apply and feels great, but I probably do most with a coat or two of Zinsser Seal coat, and then buff.

I do similar to John but instead of straight shellac I use 2 pats dna to one part. More like a sealer. I typically sand to 320 then burnish with 0000 for a harder but smooth surface.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe