Thread: Furniture quality wood in Denver

Furniture quality wood in Denver

Looking to build the cabinets myself for a bathroom remodel, and I'm having a heck of time finding a source for quality plywood and door wood in Denver. Any tips?

Brandon

Denver Colorado?? I prefer Frank Paxton Lumber. I hear that Austin Hardwoods is very good. I live in Golden and get some lumber from Jordan Building Supply in Wheat Ridge. Many more possibilities for specialized materials on Google.

Doug

I have never been to Paxton Lumber, but Austin Hardwoods has an amazing selection. You can see this page: https://www.austinhardwoods.com/plywood-sheetstock/ ... for the list of all their sheet goods. One thing, though, which may be common to most places like this, is that you have to call or inquire in person for prices. They aren't listed on the website (or even by the lumber itself). I imagine some contractors get lower prices due to volume discounts, whereas us hobbyists that buying lesser quantities pay a bit higher price (which I'm just stating as a possibility and am not particularly thinking that's wrong or anything).

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys!

Paxton has a great selection of S3S hardwoods, and their monthly sales are generally very well priced. Everything is clearly marked, easy to shop, etc. Worth stopping by for a look.

Austin is not as nice, but seems to have a better selection of sheetgoods.

If you’re in or near Denver, consider joining the Colorado Woodworker’s Guild. $30 for the year gets you great discounts at Austin (contractor pricing), Frank Paxton, Rockler, Woodcraft and others. Meet 3rd Tuesday of each month downstairs at Rockler at 6:30. My first trip to Austin each year usually covers the membership fee, and I get to meet monthly with a bunch of great friends.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
    If you’re in or near Denver, consider joining the Colorado Woodworker’s Guild. $30 for the year gets you great discounts at Austin (contractor pricing), Frank Paxton, Rockler, Woodcraft and others. Meet 3rd Tuesday of each month downstairs at Rockler at 6:30. My first trip to Austin each year usually covers the membership fee, and I get to meet monthly with a bunch of great friends.
    I live in Littleton and didn't know about this. Thanks for the info.

Good advice here. 20-year customer of Austin. Made a few trips to Paxton. Austin is in the middle of town at Mississippi just west of I-25. Paxton is north of I-70 and was a long way from me.

Austin has S4S wood but also allows you to sort through the bunks of rough lumber. Just remember to restack it in good shape. If you don't find the quality you want, they will pull a new bunk out of the warehouse. They have premium furniture-grade plywoods. Many in veneer core as well as MDF core. Good folks.

Also was a member of the Colorado Woodworkers Guild. If you enjoy rubbing shoulders, you would enjoy the group. They meet at the Rockler store on Colorado.

Enjoy.

I work in Broomfield so Consolidated Hardwoods is very convenient for me. They have a fairly limited selection of domestic hardwoods (at least that's all I've seen) but since that's mostly what I work with it's been fine. Paxton is like a candy store. I'll sometimes just go down there to browse and think about what I could make with all the cool wood they have. :-) They have domestics and exotics and several different woods quarter sawn, so I get lots of inspiration just looking around. Never been down to Austin. That's pretty far for me.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been to all of them but I prefer Austin. In addition to the places mentioned, cswoods dot com also moved to the Denver area a few years back. I have not been(yet) but I plan to check them out. Each of these places can surface your wood and provide additional services (molding, wide belt sanders, etc) so take the time to talk to someone.