Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning bandsaw tires

I use turpentine. It seems to be a good solvent for the pine pitch but seems benign enough for the tires. I almost never have to clean when cutting hardwoods.

I owned printer drive roller design for a few years, which are rubber compounds. Rubbers tend to 'bloom', crack, get brittle and slick over time.

I would NOT use solvents for rejuvenating (doing so is simply breaking down the top layer and melting into some new 'goo' - sticky at first but longer term problems).

Instead I would use abrasive. Scotch brite pads (the red ones). In fact we designed a printer kit to rejuvenate by a spring loaded pad pressing up against the rollers. This took off paper dust and surface bloom and hardening, and still left a good surface texture.

It isnt quite the same design requirements, but just $.02 for consideration.

Scotch bright pads for me.

I get excellent results from this method, which is similar to Carl's (from which I have moved on):

1. rub on a little Simple Green. This will soften the gum and grit.

2. Hold a sharp cabinet (card) scraper on the tyre (tire) and turn the wheel by hand. The card scraper removes all the cr@p, leaving the tyre clean. The rubber is not damaged/scored/ at all.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    When I first started using my BS I noted that I was getting build up on the upper wheel tire from sawdust. I used a stiff bristle brush ad was able to remove it. Then I fabricated and mounted a permanent brush to brush the upper wheel anytime the saw is running. I've had virtually no build up in the 10 years since.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Michael, it is time to move on to other wood. Burn the pine and get some Aspen, Oak or Ash and Walnut. No pitch and a nice variety of grains and textures. You'll never look back and never clean a tire again.

Blog Entries