Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

26 Mar 2018

Greetings,
    Since I'm awake anyway, I thought I'd get this rolling.
    I finally finished all 3 chairs for my customer. It's been over a year so I told him that the bill would be $0.00 based on principal (I shouldn't have had the chairs that long). 2 chairs had to be rebuilt with new spindles for the stretchers and the 3rd chair simply needed some lite sanding, cleaning, and refinishing to match the other 2 I had to rebuild. The hardest part for me what turning the stretchers to try and match the existing ones. I did "ok" with it but I really need better spindle skills. My customer decided to pay me some money anyway, he said, "a man's time is a man's wage...so I'm paying you something just because of the time you've invested in fixing my chairs." I wasn't expecting to get paid but we both walked away happy.
    I cooked for the family on Saturday, church on Sunday, and back to work today.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, that was very considerate of you to be willing to forgo payment due to the delay.

I glued the face frame onto the electric fireplace cabinet that I've been making forever.

I also went to Lee Valley and bout $184 worth of sanding discs for my ROS and detail sander, Probably a 5 year supply for me.

Regards, Rod.

Dennis, I'm glad you made the offer and I'm even more glad that the customer paid you anyway.

I returned home mid last week after some inspiring CNC training near Atlanta and a quick visit with the 'rents in central Florida. Being tired, I didn't do a whole lot in the shop after that, but did accomplish a few small tasks that included installing the WiFi module for my new Mini-Split, some significant cleaning of the shop from fine debris that resulted from the ceiling installation to-date, spraying a couple coats of EM8000cv on the kitchen upper cabinets I've been working on and building a small "medicine cabinet" for in the kitchen to live in a tiny space to the right of our refrigerator. I'm really, really, really anxious for my CNC machine to arrive "real soon now"...it should be in production "as we speak" if I'm lucky. The factory is "anatomic round spheres to the wall", confirmed by the tour I had on Friday, 16 March. But I am getting a bunch of things done, so that's a good thing. This week will be more of the same, hopefully getting the doors built and finished for those cabinets and a few other small needs. I also hope to pick up some lumber from a 'Creeker later in the week with a road-trip to Reading and maybe a stop at Industrial Plywood, too, to check some things out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Began wiring my shop. I paid an electrician to install the subpanel, but I'm running all of the outlets. Trying to figure out where I want everything is half the battle.

Wife and I went to the show at Chantilly. Sat in on a couple of Jim Heavy's seminars, and one of Roland Johnson's. While in show, some SOB backed into van, breaking parking light assembly on passenger's side. They were nice enough to pick up the evidence, but not nice enough to leave their info. On way home spent 45 minutes going 15 miles on I-95, near Fredricksburg. Ran into wet snow from VA border to about 10 miles from home. Woke up early (3:29 AM) Sunday morning, and couldn't breathe. Realized power was off, and my CPAP wasn't supplying me any air. Called power company, and first thing they asked was "have you checked your breakers." Reminded them that area light at church next door wasn't on my breakers, and it was OFF! Three hours later power was restored, which by Duke / Progress is amazing. Usually it's around 15 hours to get power back on, since Duke bought Progress. After church, rode length of power line and couldn't see anything that would have caused outage.

Continued work on the new bathroom vanity. It's a corner unit and changes level as well. I'm building it out of King Billy pine, another of Tasmania's ancient conifers. It's quite rare but I have some that came from a tree killed by bushfire about 30 years ago. I acquired it as a swap for some labour. Today I have also completed a new timber shelf unit for seventy two 150mm milling cutters at work. They store best on edge hence the timber shelving to protect the inserts. I recycled the timber from European spruce packing crates we get our lengths of centreless ground delivered in. To finish the day, we won a Fanuc 6-axis industrial robot and cell at auction for literally pocket change. It is can manipulate 210kg loads to repeatable micron accuracy. It caused slight consternation in a good way because we have been chasing one for months but they were going for more like $20K which was more risk than we wanted and we had forgotten this one was still in the wind. Cheers

Spent what time I had in the shop working through my first attemp at stringing. A border around my second attempt at veneer and around the sides. Here’s a WIP.

D57A15F7-7705-4E1C-B35E-842C0EB6A9F5.jpg

Also spent some time looking for a new BBQ...been awhile since I purchased one, and I’m trying to get over the sticker shock of what a good one goes for these days.

No woodworking at all this last week. My fiance was returning home from a 10 week stint in Charlotte. So cleaning was in order. (Not that I let it go the whole time, just had to make sure it was up to HER standards. It seems there is a difference...)

And this weekend our off road club had a booth at the Motorama show in Green Bay. Had to get a booth set up and manned for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Saturday we had a separate exhibition area at a local business with our vehicles along with a winching seminar. Cut that one a bit short as the wind chill was in the low to mid 20s(f). We met a lot of people and talked with a few about some upcoming events that we are either hosting or attending.