Thread: Soss barrel hinge for box lid hinge?

Soss barrel hinge for box lid hinge?

I'm making a small 16x6 cherry box. Would the 10mm Soss hinge be a good choice? I have never used them and wonder if they can handle the weight of the open lid.
    I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Is the lid depth 6”? If yes, then the hinges are fine. Just use more of them. You might want to use a chain to prevent opening too far.

Tried using them once. Not very strong at all. Everytime I opened and closed the lid, it closed in a little different position. Would up going with a smaller normal soss hinge. They make one for a 3/8" route.

Blog Entries
    I've used the solid brass small-box cylinder hinges from Rockler on a number of boxes about the size you are making.
    emilyjewel2.jpg
    The hinges are press in, but I always coat the inside of the hole with super glue just before I insert the hinge, being careful to get the pivot point in the right position.
    hinge.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I believe ‘smart’ hinges are back in production. They’re quite nice.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Is the lid depth 6”? If yes, then the hinges are fine. Just use more of them. You might want to use a chain to prevent opening too far.
    I have to make a few more of these, I'm looking for a quick & easy hinge. I already bought the Soss hinges & 10mm bit but I'm having second thoughts about them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Brusso makes some nice hinges, including some stop hinges. Look at the JB-103 which may be a good size for you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I guess what I'm asking, is it a mistake to use the Soss hinge in this application?

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Brusso makes some nice hinges, including some stop hinges. Look at the JB-103 which may be a good size for you.

Mike

I'll second Mike's recommendation of Brusso hinges. They are very high quality solid brass and manufactured here in the USA. The folks there are a pleasure to deal with. I use their products on all my jewelry boxes and small projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I believe ‘smart’ hinges are back in production. They’re quite nice.
    Those are beautiful hinges alright but these are commissioned pieces. $35-40 per pair would kill my profit margin. I winced paying $9 for the Soss barrel hinges.

Andy Rooney