Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable used to be the gold standard, but IMO

Blog Entries

Porter Cable used to be the gold standard, but IMO

It' isn't now. I have a A250C 15 ga. Porter Cable angled Finish Nailer. I will be out of nails soon.
    I went to two local stores, Lowe's and Home Depot. They have no nails for this gun.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-26-2018 at 2:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    I was venting and decided to cancel the post but I don't know how.

Hi, Lowell. Not finding consumables can be frustrating at times for sure! Are you specifically looking for Porter Cable branded nails? Any brand of high quality 34 degree, 15 gage nails 1"-2.5" in length will work. Good luck!

Did you talk to anyone in the tool department? Not that it always helps....

15 gauge nailers are still carried by the big box stores around here and they carry 15ga nails. Both big boxes show stock available in store.

And just because the BORG doesn’t carry something, isn’t exactly a reflection on Porter Cable.

Try your local construction yard or tool dealer. Fastenal is in a lot of cities and will have nails to fit it.

Sad to confirm, but Porter Cable hasn't been a standard for at least a decade and a half. It has gone further down the ravine since being acquired by Black & Decker and then again by Stanley.

Porter Cable has gone downhill from the good ol' days when you knew you were buying a world class brand name that ranked up there with Elu, Delta, Dewalt, etc. I'm glad I bought all of my tools at the time they were still at their height!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

For pneumatic nailer fasteners, the only thing that's important is that the correct specification is on the fasteners. Brand doesn't matter, although "cheap" fasteners are more likely to provide issues. I buy whatever brand is available. My bin has fasteners from Grex, Porter Cable, Senco and Hitachi at the moment, depending on what specific fastener it is and when I bought it and where I bought it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Unfortunately you are right about PC. I've gone to DeWalt for cordless tools.

You should be able to use nails other than PC. I think they are pretty standard, aren't they?

I have an old Speed Bloc sander that has been use for over 30 years with only a couple of sanding pad changes.

I have a 5" ROS that is about 8 years old that has died for the 2nd time. 1st time repaired under warranty. 2nd time is on me. Or maybe the trash bin after I remove the power cord.

I becoming a case of the tool itself is becoming disposal, like the sandpaper after it is used up.

Sad.

Sadly if your buying tools from a Borg, you probably never even saw the "good" Porter Cable tools as they never really carried much. The heavier duty, (good), tools you had to get either via special order or from a place that supplied contractor grade tools. Not what the manufacturers are labeling "contractor grade", but what actually were contractor grade. For instance I have a variable speed PC corded drill thats a workhorse in my shop. Bought it about 25 years ago and was over $100 back then. My PC circular saw, which is just a bit older than the drill, weighs a ton, and cost almost $400 back then, is a tank, pretty sure it will be going strong long after I'm gone. The box stores never carried these tools, too expensive for their customer base, had to get them at a supply house. I'm not sure if they even make this grade of tools anymore, but if they do you would have to seek them out as they won't ever show up in the box stores.

good luck,
    JeffD

PC is not responsible for what a local retailer might stock. That's up to the local retailer or Borg.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When you are as old as me you've sadly witnessed many great brands succumb to the insatiable desire for lower prices by consumers. Here is an example. In 1977 I special ordered a black and decker corded drill, 3/8" chuck, industrial duty rated. At that time Black and Decker had 3 tiers, Industrial being the highest. I paid over $96 in 1977 dollars for that drill. According to an inflation calculator that $96 in 1977 is $503 today. That drill has been rock solid for 41 years. I did replace the cord about 10 years ago and a switch once. Built in the USA for long service. The Black and Decker brand sold many times and it's now owned by someone who puts it on the lowest possible cost product for big box stores. Another example is the Porter Cable 5362 1/2" router. That was the heavy duty 1 2/3rd HP router. They also sold the model 690 for a long time and that was the light duty model. I paid, cheapest catalog order price, like $230 for the Porter Cable 5362 in 1988. In 2018 dollars that's $484. That's Festool level pricing, and owning both, the Porter cable will be running long past when the Festool has died. Sadly the Porter Cable brand is now owned by the same brand rapists who own Black and Decker. Why, because in today's world very few people will pay what quality costs.

13. The real problem is the consumer base for tools these days.

Weekend warriors have taken over the market, and since they typically use a tool(s) for just one project they have no clue/worry about longevity of a given product, have no experience to really notice what quality is, etc.

Tool makers have in general given in to this market, and people who do it for a living have suffered.

Don't even get me started about the *heavily edited* bearings being supplied from China **completely redacted**

Porter Cable was bought up by Black & Decker in 2006 I believe. They discontinued all of the industrial stuff and dumbed down what was left so it didn't compete with the yellow brand. DeFalt makes some great tools, but I won't buy them just because they ruined some really great tools.

Back to the OP's problem, try the nail gun depot on line.https://www.nailgundepot.com
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening