Thread: Drafting/Blueprint cabinet

Drafting/Blueprint cabinet

Anyone have a drafting/blueprint cabinet in the shop and re purposed it for storage ideas? Drawers look pretty thin.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Something like that might be very useful for storing thin, flat and delicate materials, such as those used for sign making, etc. It could also be good for storing certain kinds of tooling. And, perhaps veneers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have one I use for short pieces of veneer like Burles and other figured stuff
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

My tool cabinet has 17 drawers, many of them 2" deep. So my tools are all on top, not under anything. The loading is much lighter than a thick stack of drawings. You are going to find it makes an excellent tool cabinet.

The shop I worked in had one in the tool room and we used it for shaper cutters and tooling

I've had a number of them in various machine shops and all were very light duty. None of them ever had more than 20-30 sheets of paper in each drawer. Didn't seem like they would have been able to handle 50 sheets of paper. These were all wood cabinets from the 1970s, maybe the 1980s at the latest but I can't imagine being able to store anything heavy in them.

Type cases are much heavier duty since the type is made of lead.
    Bil lD.

I have one that I use as a veneer cutting station on top. The drawers in it are great.....I store a Logan Mat/glass/ cutter and also store pieces of glass, matboard, foam core board, thin strips of various woods used for dividers. I added some supports for wire shelves and am able to store several veneer tools in a convenient place.
    I have actually been looking for another(used , of course).

Jim