Thread: A New Inovation In Wood Turning R&R

A New Inovation In Wood Turning R&R

Hi Gang,
    I have given this some thought, as to post it or not, but something crazy, at times is fun to look at.
    Last year, Gerri and I attended an auction at the old county nursing home, as it was shut down and everything was a must go. (we now have a new one). Any way this thing came up and I said to Gerri, I think I am going to bid on that ------ Gerri said --- for what . Well the auctioneer got to this item and started the bidding at $100.00. No takers, it went down to asking, who will give me a $1.00, I raised my hand, and he said sold .
    It is hydraulically operated, works great and was used for placing clients in to the whirl pool baths. I don't know the cost of a new one, but imagine in the $Ks.
    All in all, very comfortable, will place you at any approach to the work, as well as, is a great assist for those extra heavy blanks to the lathe.
    As Martha says, "It's a good thing.
    Comments are not required for this one--$#@%^^$*&%#^
    Have a safe and fun day,
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, I hesitate to respond to this post but respectfully, could you send me some of whatever you been smokin' ?

Thanks

Bill:
    I think it's just plumb kewl! Thay got anymore of 'em?
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

Dang, I'd love to have one of them... or something like it...
    When you have 3 herniated disks, standing for a long time at the lathe gets painful... with one of those I could just sit back and rest and look at the work for a while until I felt like getting up again....
    Tell you what, I'll give you a 500% profit on it... LOL
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Hi Bill,

Just more reason to spend hours and hours at the lathe! But, I don't want to rush getting into one of those things.

Bill, I have seen it all. I can now just go to the old folks home with a smile on my face. I have seen dental lights over lathes, chain hoists over lathes, lathes that you could sit at and turn. But not in my wildest dreams would I have ever guessed that one day I would see a hydraulically operated seat for turning at a lathe...... Now you need a hydraulically operated end table to keep your beverage of choice close at hand.... Too funny!!!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Yeah, well that's "bad" enough but, when he installs the bathtub on the other side of that chair, I'm outta' here!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John, the bathtub will be used with the chair to "dip" the turned objects in this oil finish of choice!

It looks like he has all the parts to a automated lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang
    John, the bathtub will be used with the chair to "dip" the turned objects in this oil finish of choice!

It looks like he has all the parts to a automated lathe!

I guess that wouldn't be too bad BUT, I've got this scary vision of Bill in his birthday suit, sitting at the lathe and then swinging around to the tub to get cleaned up!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    It is hydraulically operated, works great and was used for placing clients in to the whirl pool baths. I don't know the cost of a new one, but imagine in the $Ks.
    All in all, very comfortable, will place you at any approach to the work, as well as, is a great assist for those extra heavy blanks to the lathe.Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Bill,

That is the lift chair for a Century WP Tub. My day job is a SNF administrator. My facility has two of them. Century quit making them because of a safety issue. The base is required to be bolted to the floor. Sooner or later the bolts loosen and the lift tips, usually with a patient in it. Note the center of gravity is very much offcenter.

Century is no longer in business. They were located in Aurora, NB. Bought out be Arjo, Inc. of Chicago. Too bad, because it is a good system, if you follow the instructions and have two staff trained in attendance when moving a patient.

Yes, The last one I purchased, in 1988 dollars, was 10K. The lift part was probably 2.5K of that total. Arjo has parts if you need them. I usually go to a local hydraulic supplier, ease of access and lower cost.

A buck -- You get the big suck on that buy!!!

John

Hi John,
    Thank you for the information. With the limited research I did on the chair, I was maid aware of the bolt failure. I would attribute the same to the environment as to its use. Consistently wet, with the addition, of some sort of therapeutic chemicals, affecting the concrete. Working in the construction field in my past life before retirement I learned a great deal about erosion, corrosion and structural attachments. The chair is secured with embed "J" bolts in the shop floor, may be an over kill on my part, but I do feel very secure and the thing is really comfortable. It's great on those small tedious projects, the relief on the back is unbelievable.
    At 10K it now becomes "The Throne To The Lathe" Now how many artisans have a Throne in there shop? Oh well, all the folks that visit the shop get a kick out of it.
    Thanks again,
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>