Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concrete Shop Floors

A different take, and a "sea story".

In 1979 I was stationed at Dam Neck Va. for Polaris/Poseidon Missile school. As a student awaiting a class, we were tasked with cleaning the barracks each morning.
    One morning we were assigned to wax the sealed concrete floors of the barracks. We did a glorious job.
    That night, at about 2AM, or 0200 for the military guys, the CDO, Command Duty Officer, was making his rounds through the barracks.
    His leather soled Koroframs, hit that waxed floor, and with some added condensation from the humidity. He slipped on that beautifully waxed concrete floor and shattered his elbow, and hip.
    The next day we were stripping off all of the wax from the barracks floors.
    I've never sealed, or waxed ,a concrete surface since then. Those I've had to deal with in industrial settings have only reinforced my position.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-31-2018 at 7:57 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Sealing helps with curing. The longer concrete cures, the harder it gets. I'm pretty sure there was moisture still coming out of the floor when I kicked the heat on six months after it was poured.

If I would've had another nine grand to spend, I would've ground it down to the aggregate after it cured, then polished and sealed it again. My floor is nice, but not ground and polished nice.

Every concrete timber shop floor I have worked on has self polished from foot traffic with sawdust as the polishing compound. I have at times sprayed a light coat of contact glue on floors so the guys didn't slip over when pushing timber through the machines. Concrete floor coating is for showrooms more than workshops. I very nearly came to grief like Mike's CDO last year when visiting the Borg Warner gearbox factory. Beautiful and lethal epoxy floors throughout. I was only saved from a severe fall by a quick thinking staff member. Spend the money on timber and machines. It's only a floor. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Sealing helps with curing. The longer concrete cures, the harder it gets. I'm pretty sure there was moisture still coming out of the floor when I kicked the heat on six months after it was poured.
    Another thing that works better for curing - keep the concrete wet for as long as possible. When I pour a slab I always cover it with plastic for at least a week, longer if I can. I have rolls of 4" wide poly. Every few days I ran water under the edges to make sure it stayed wet.

I use two or three layers under the concrete to prevent moisture from coming from the ground. Test cured concrete for moisture with a piece of plastic sheet, placed on top. Internet has instructions.

I love my hardwood in the shop. I asked my hardwood supplier for what they had cheap and he supplied "mixed domestic hardwoods" -- odds and ends of probably 12 different species. It made up into a beautiful floor, and the cost was under $2/SF, much less than professionally done epoxy coatings, and not much more than other concrete treatments. Much easier on the feet and back as well. Finished with Bona Traffic HD, it has held up very well to all of the abuse it gets subjected to, like dragging heavy cast iron machines across it.

I used the DIY epoxy from the Home Depot in our basement and it is holding up fine after five years. It doesn't get very heavy use though. You want to incorporate some grit into the epoxy to keep it from being slippery.

My issue with concrete floors is that they create dust. I have worked in production facilities, not wood but money processing - mostly coin- and the amount of dust created is unbelievable. Perhaps I am worried about nothing though.

I am curious on the hardwood floors people have - do you just lay the hardwood on top of the concrete? What thickness are they?

I am pretty well convinced that I will leave them as is, with the exception of filling in the joints so it is a smooth floor. I get tired of sweeping out the joints all the time.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Mark, a wood floor can indeed go over concrete and there are multiple ways to do it including a floating floor, on inch and a half "sleepers" with insulation foam board between them and on actual joists of variable thickness. The first two methods are more desirable from the standpoint of not reducing head room as much; the last one is desirable because it affords more potential space to put "utilities" under the floor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    My issue with concrete floors is that they create dust. I have worked in production facilities, not wood but money processing - mostly coin- and the amount of dust created is unbelievable. Perhaps I am worried about nothing though.
    I've never heard that one. It wears, but foot traffic, some carts, and limited forklift traffic isn't going to do much.

Euclid Super Diamond Clear. Easy application with a paint roller and long handle. Money and time well spent.

Craig

I covered my concrete floor with treated strips, styrofoam and T and G flooring. Easier on the body, and the shop heats easier. I put a couple tap con screws per strip, and put the strips on 16" centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I've never heard that one. It wears, but foot traffic, some carts, and limited forklift traffic isn't going to do much.
    Martin - It was amazing how much dust we made and had to clean up. We had 5 or 6 high speed coin wrappers, metal pallets with pallet jacks running around, sorters and a walk behind lift, plus 5 - 7 people moving around. The dust is abrasive so it was permaturely wearing out wrappers that cost around $12K each. We put an epoxy covering down and it made a big difference. As I recall it was epoxy. We had to shift everything to one side on Friday afternoon, so the other side could be applied Friday evening. Then Saturday afternoon we moved it all to the completed side and the remaining part was done Saturday evening. Monday we reset all the equipment. Pain in the behind, but it cut down the dust by 80%.

In my shop there is no reason to expect such wear and tear, so as others have said, not worth covering it. Plus I have already had experience with how slick sawdust makes things under foot. A floating floor might be nice some day, but for now it will just be a wish.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I don't have a pro shop, but my two garages see a surprising amount of traffic because it's the neighborhood hangout/project spot. I wish I knew what was on my floors. I'd like to coat some areas they didn't do (idiots coated AROUND the water softener and a couple other things). Is there some way to figure out what it is? It's got a color, and seems very thing but also very hardy. Zero wear, even in the one that has metalwork being done/dropped and motorcycles going in/out.

The concrete floor in my shop was "steel trowled" for smooth finish and a coat of Thompson Water Seal sprayed on. That was too slick and the seal coat was wiped off best I could before bringing equipment and material into shop. The smooth surface can be real slick with sawdust and any shavings. A mat is useful for both cushion and prevent slipping. It does sweep up easily except for all the material and equipment in the way. I don't know how much good the water seal did but I would not do it again and just live with spills. Cat litter or oil dry with a little solvent help helps to remove any spills and stains are a problem.

Blog Entries
    In my current shop I used those OSB tiles with a few anti fatigue mats on top, in the hand tool areas. I left the power tool areas bare concrete so I could roll around large tools more easily.

When I built my 30x34' shop a few years ago we cut the expansion joints the morning after the pour. I kept the floor wet and covered with plastic sheet. Once the roof was on I decided to use Rustbullet as the floor finish. It isn't Epoxy but the prep was to thoroughly clean the deck and then roll it on. Simple and I did it myself over a couple days. I used two coats with a roller and it went down easily and looks great. I avoided covering one section where I do most of my welding, as nothing stands up to molten metal. I used a sealer on that section. Three years in the floor is in excellent shape. It has a few chips that were entirely my fault. The floor cleans easily and is not slick. I would do it again. I expect that doing it on an older slab would be more problematic.