Thread: A Finial for Mr. Starrett

Blog Entries

A Finial for Mr. Starrett

There must be something in people's DNA that makes them not only take things apart, but then lose the parts.

It seems most of the time a pair of dividers crosses my path if it had a finial at one time it is now missing.

The other day while hunting for odd hardware in a Wilco store a drawer of lamp hardware was discovered. One of the things was a knurled brass nut for the switch. It was marked as having a 4-36 thread (if my memory is working). To me it seemed it would be easy to re-tap this for a 4-40 fastener. So it was purchased and taken home to install on a recent find:

Starrett Finial.jpg

It surely will not fool anyone into thinking it is the original, but it makes using the dividers a bit easier. Now to go back and pick up a couple more for some other dividers in need of a finial.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey, that works. I have a pair in need as well, but I just use em anyway.
    Nice rehab!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Hey, that works. I have a pair in need as well, but I just use em anyway.
    Nice rehab!
    Before finding the finial this pair had a cable connector standoff for the finial. A screw with a few nuts driven down on it will work.

It is amazing how much more convenient it is having the knurled piece on top when using a pair of dividers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I picked up a Steadler compass/dividers at a local shop in great condition for I think $2(can't remember). It came with a pencil lead in one tip/the tips are interchangeable. It did not come with spare tips, but I used a nail of the right diameter and sharpened it to a sharp point. should work just as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    I picked up a Steadler compass/dividers at a local shop in great condition for I think $2(can't remember). It came with a pencil lead in one tip/the tips are interchangeable. It did not come with spare tips, but I used a nail of the right diameter and sharpened it to a sharp point. should work just as well.
    Almost all of my drafting compasses/dividers have a pin that is the same diameter as a pencil lead to switch them back and forth.

One of my Starrett dividers has a pin as big as a pencil so it can be switched.

It seems the more my dividers get used the more uses are found for them.

jtk