Thread: Indexing plate

Indexing plate

I am looking at getting the Alisam indexing system for my Jet 1642 EVS lathe. The spindle size for the lathe is 1-1/4" but I use a spindle adapter (1") when using my nova chuck. Will I be able to use the 1-1/4" indexing plate with the adapter and the chuck or should I get indexing plate the size of my spindle adapter?

Has anyone out there cleared this hurdle?

Thanks.

The hole in the indexing plate will fit on the spindle, and the adapter will hold the plate against the head stock bearing. So the answer is yes, it will work with the adapter.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I agree with Tom. I also purchased a 1 1/4 nut so that I could use the index wheel when using a drive center and no chuck. The nut locks the alisam plate on when turning spindles. I have a half thickness nut that either came with the Alisam or possibly I made it myself.

Thank you Tom and John. I am anxious to open up another can of worms with indexing.

I just looked at the photos I took when I got the Alisam. It does come with that half nut. If your adaptor screws on all the way to the lathe flange then it will lock up against the index wheel and work just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks John

there are so many things you can do with indexing, especially if you get into using a router. I wish I had filed all the photos in one place where I've used indexing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow John. Cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    there are so many things you can do with indexing, especially if you get into using a router. I wish I had filed all the photos in one place where I've used indexing.
    I remember lots of your router things. Show some mirrors you've done! Here's a couple of router-play pictures of your mirrors I saved:
    lucas_mirror_496951_3.jpg lucas_mirror_497433_4.jpg

JKJ