Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leigh Jig

Blog Entries

Leigh Jig

Does anyone use them anymore? I have one under my work bench and I have a router, but they are not used and have not been for a long time.

I also have a Yankee Drill that is not used. It has a full compliment of bits.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-08-2018 at 5:47 PM.

still use mine all the time, the dovetail jig almost makes it too easy IMHO, once I'm done building the bedroom suite though it may sit for a while before it gets brought out again.

I do use mine from time to time, but not with any frequency because the majority of my projects don't require dovetails. For larger furniture casework, I tend to cut them by hand because that's quick, easy and they are generally hidden from view, so not being "perfect" isn't an issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Actually, I have not made anything substantial in a long time. I need to make some furniture or a new work bench. When I do my tools will be used again.
    I have complete shop except for a lathe. I have been planning a new bench with storage drawers. I had all of this, but Hurricane Harvey washed them out.

It is time.

Lowell,

I made box joints on my TS instead of DT whenever I had very many to make. I hand cut DT when I had a few in a place that would show, like a drawer front. So, I really had no use for a DT jig. After I gave up my TS (because of space) I bought a PC4216. It is easy to use for box joints and for DT, and I use it whenever I have many to make and don't mind the limitations.

Doug

When making drawers, they sure are handy. Haven't made many in a couple of years, though. I think I will try some with Baltic Birch for the shop soon.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I use mine fairly often. With my skill set, it's faster than handcut by a lot, especially if you are doing several drawers. Mine just stays set up for 1/2" stock, with a couple routers locked and loaded close by. They sure make a mess though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I use mine fairly often. With my skill set, it's faster than handcut by a lot, especially if you are doing several drawers. Mine just stays set up for 1/2" stock, with a couple routers locked and loaded close by. They sure make a mess though.
    If you get the VRS accessory dust catcher, it really helps, plus it gives the router more support. Vacuum Router Support.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    If you get the VRS accessory dust catcher, it really helps, plus it gives the router more support. Vacuum Router Support.
    You are right Ole, I need one of those.

I came late to the Leigh game. I just purchased the D4 pro and then the F3 template for finger joints. The F3 has opened so many more options for making boxes for gifts and such. If I jack up a box (for whatever reason) it just stays in the garage to hold small shop items (and as a reminder as to the mistake I made).

Gotta love quick and easy projects; the jig allows that.

I have a Leigh and a Keller (the Leigh was bought used when the original owner offered to throw it in with a router I wanted). I use the Keller a whole lot more, but if you have a Leigh (and the manual) there's no reason not to use it.

Anybody use the FMT pro? I've been thinking about getting one. A lot of money. Have an older d3 I use occasionally. Works great when I need it.

I have both an FMT Pro and a D4R with the VRS. I haven't used either lately, but have put both through some heavy use. I bought the FMT when I was facing the need to make almost 1,700 M&T joints on a large project. It paid for itself doing that one, but has saved me a lot of times since. The D4R gets pulled out every time that I make drawers, because I'm not very good at doing them by hand.

Charley

I keep the finger joint template on my d4 and use it for shop storage boxes etc - quick and perfect joints in many sizes

I use my D4R fairly regularly.

Pretty clean when used with a vac in the VRS plus a piece of flex hose to my cyclone strategically clamped.

I like the jig a lot.