Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you show me your tool storage? Tool chests? Wall Cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi Matt,

"
    Something like Stan's mahogany tool chest (thread from a few years back) are as rare as unicorns online.
    I think that his only complaint was that it was a backbreaker to move from Guam."

Would you mind posting a link to Stan's chest? I dimly recall the thread, but didn't find it in a quick search...

Thanks,
    C
    Chris:

I can't find it either. I need to take those vitamins to improve ones memory, but I forgot the name

I will try to repost some pictures tonight. I still have the drawings here somewhere.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    ... I can't find it either. ...
    Found a couple threads that might qualify:

Plane & hand tool storage?

Toolchest Lid-Mounted Tools

PS- searched with Google and:

"Stanley Covington" mahogany tool box or chest site:sawmillcreek.org

as the search string.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Found a couple threads that might qualify:

Plane & hand tool storage?

Toolchest Lid-Mounted Tools

PS- searched with Google and:

"Stanley Covington" mahogany tool box or chest site:sawmillcreek.org

as the search string.
    David:

That's it. Thanks for finding it.

I since got rid of the piss-poor Kiyohisa chisels that were mounted inside the lid. I can't believe what people are willing to pay for such mediocre tools, even used. I guess the writeup up in Asahi shinbum newspaper made his fortune.

I have a set of shinogi oirenomi made by my current blacksmith that are soooo much better and soooo much less expensive.

This toolchest is an excellent solution, especially for a tight workshop.

You may recall that I am unimpressed with tool storage systems that expose tools to dust and air. I have racks adjacent my workbench where I keep saws and planes I am using, but not for permanent storage. Simply closing the lid of either toolchest or sawtill encloses the tools protecting them from dust and humidity. Easy, speedy access. Paul Seller's video studio is not the real world.

Seriously heavy, but once in place I don't move it around much.

The milkpaint is holding up well. Once again, thanks to Mr. Schwarz and Mike Dunbar for the introduction and tips. I cannot recommend this finish too highly. Ditto the shellac interior. Genius. Thank you Mr. Schwarz.

The tool arrangement inside the lid is working well too. I will probably diddle with it some more, but I am happy overall.

Stan

PS: Looking at those pics, I realized that I may be one-up on Master Brian Holcombe: I have lace curtains! Now I guess I need to get out my tux and buy a silk brocade waistcoat and a tophat to wear when sawing and planing. 且(ツ)Don't have bandsaw....
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 04-05-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks for the links and the original post. That is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    Very low tech boom arm. 3/4" pvc zip tied to a block of oak with a 3/4" hole drilled at an angle in the bottom. Rests/swings on vertical 3/4" aluminum rod. The boom arm and/or the aluminum rod can be removed if not needed. Hose height is adjusted by sliding a 1/2" plastic garden stake or dowel far enough inside the pvc to make it droop just the right amount. Vac hose attached by one piece of Velcro near the tip.
    Attachment 383189

Not the prettiest thing in the world, but works great. I wish I had made the shelves a little longer to hold more tools.

It is really handy to have the hand tools low, in plain sight and mobile, so that I can grab a tool without having to hunt for it.
    I like your version better than the festool version.

Thanks, Matt, but after seeing another post I realized we should stop talking about my contraption on this subforum unless we come up with a foot pedaled dust extractor.

I do also like Stan's version much better than mine. He makes a good point that for tools that rust, a closed cabinet will keep away the dust and humidity.

Stan's version is what got me started on thinking about how to do things in a better way.

There's only a few things that make me want to do things differently:
    1. It's heavy! I think that moving is extremely difficult.
    I'd like to do something modular that can clip together.
    2. It's intimidatingly tasteful!
    I'm a complete noob. Also, I'm used to working differently.
    3. At the time, I didn't know he has wall racks for tools in use currently.

My changes would be:
    1. Modular
    2. Cassette based system.
    I'm used to having things prepackaged in cassettes for surgery (no I don't have it for my practice yet, but plan to).
    When it comes to finding and hunting for stuff, I can be a bit of a Dr. Magoo or an absentminded professor.
    3. Probably have the cassettes solidly clip into a rail or on the workbench.

of course, I'm probably overcomplicating things.
    They also probably won't look as nice.

8. You should have a woodworking tech just hand you the tool you need off a mayo stand in your shop. Then you hand it back when you are done, and they put it away.

Have made a chest for tools a few years back..
    tool chest #2 opened.jpg
    It now sits empty and un-used.....got tired of bending over to dif a tool out....and if the lid stayed closed for too long, it became buried under all sorts of stuff, that I would then have to clear off, just to get one tool out. IF Anyone wants the empty chest...come over and pick it up. I'll keep the tools, though. Spiders might take offense to being evicted...oh well.

10. Sounds like you have too much stuff.

Nah, never too much stuff....just my back didn't like all the bending over to get a tool or two out, and then put them back....
    IMAG0005.jpg
    There WAS two chests in the shop...this one is now a Blanket Chest..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Again, same issues with bending over..
    IMAG0006.jpg
    I even made a Tote, to load up and carry over to the bench..
    IMAG0007.jpg
    All the toys needed for a day's work.

Tops on both got to be a "catch-all".....slowly got to be a bit much....went with the Chest of drawers, and a few tils...

12. Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Nah, never too much stuff...
    Wow, hmm. To each his own!

For the OP, I am with Stan on this: closed containers primarily to keep dust off tools. Tool chests, rolling cabinets, wall cabinets, just depends on your workflow. If you like having a lot of tools and enjoy being in their presence, piling them around in the open is a solution also.
    Last edited by john jesseph; 04-07-2018 at 4:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have shared this before, but here is my latest slatwall storage and a repurposed cabinet for the planes.
    D4541968-5B4C-4DBF-A1DD-0FD44CBF5B2A.jpgF97A3034-0A81-40B5-97B0-6291462C243D.jpg34B84B44-026F-494D-8FFC-FD8C043A085E.jpg

Blog Entries
    Tops on both got to be a "catch-all".....slowly got to be a bit much....went with the Chest of drawers, and a few tils...
    My back also doesn't like a lot of bending over.

If one has a habit of utilizing every flat space available, perhaps that is a good reason to build a coopered top for their traditional tool chest.

I have shared this before, but here is my latest slatwall storage and a repurposed cabinet for the planes.
    Wow Malcolm, the slatwall storage looks like a hardware store display.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Wow Malcolm, the slatwall storage looks like a hardware store display.

jtk
    That was kind of the inspiration. I saw everything hanging up and easy to find what you want and said, "why can't my shop be this organized?" ...and now it is!