Thread: WARNING Virus Alert

WARNING Virus Alert

I received a .ZIP file yesterday from someone I didn't know. the good news is I didn't open it as I read on my Yahoo news that this virus was out there. So when I got home I downloaded the email but what to my surprise I have a .zip file attachment I DO NOT OPEN IT but go to Norton to update my virus definitions after that I RUN the virus scan on my machine—why am I not surprised that the attached file contained this new virus. Its been deleted from my machine BUT DO UPDATE NOW! check the link below for info or go to Norton. good luck -Jerry

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/...rus991201.html
    Jerry

I'm curious, Jerry, because I am a mail system administrator (one of my shameful secrets). Why did you even download it?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Arbuckle
    I'm curious, Jerry, because I am a mail system administrator (one of my shameful secrets). Why did you even download it?

Dave
    Dave,
    I didn't have the chose it came into the "in box" (no filter) Eudora 4.2 email system as an attachment at home like all the SPAM. The thing about this new virus is its the FIRST time a virus has been able to be sent in a ZIP file. what next? FYI
    the virus was W32.so.big@mm... something like that
    Jerry

The thing about this new virus is its the FIRST time a virus has been able to be sent in a ZIP file.

Jerry, that isn't so, and doesn't make any difference anyway. I don't use or support Eudora (and it sounds like I might be happy about that). You may want to check and see if there is an option to leave attachments on your mail server unless requested.

If I receive an attachment via e-mail, it better be from someone I know by "From" name, and have a compelling subject. If that is the case, I will mail them back to see if it were intentionally sent, by them. If not, it gets deleted directly from the server.

Dave

The thing about this new virus is its the FIRST time a virus has been able to be sent in a ZIP file.

Jerry, that isn't so, and doesn't make any difference anyway. I don't use or support Eudora (and it sounds like I might be happy about that). You may want to check and see if there is an option to leave attachments on your mail server unless requested.

If I receive an attachment via e-mail, it better be from someone I know by "From" name, and have a compelling subject. If that is the case, I will mail them back to see if it were intentionally sent, by them. If not, it gets deleted directly from the server.

Dave
    Dave,
    Thanks I will check to see if I can stop attachments on the server.
    I have an netcom/earthlink account
    Again Thanks for the info. -Jerry
    Jerry

PS from the OAK

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Krakauer
    Dave,
    Thanks I will check to see if I can stop attachments on the server.
    I have an netcom/earthlink account
    Again Thanks for the info. -Jerry

Link to the OAK Message Board about this issue. -Jerry

http://theoak.com/cgi-bin/tools1/tools1.pl?read=250552
    Jerry

Dave
    I would imagine a fair number of "users" use MS programs such as Outlook or Outlook Express. After dialing up the ISP and you go to download your mail, everything gets downloaded including attachments. It's up to the user to determine if they want to open them. Jerry obviously did the right thing by running Norton to check it for the virus. As a sysadmin in a previous life, I have seen viruses in all kinds of attachments so adding one in a zip file is not that uncommon.
    You can't talk about me without talking about yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by William Parks
    I would imagine a fair number of "users" use MS programs such as Outlook or Outlook Express. After dialing up the ISP and you go to download your mail, everything gets downloaded including attachments. It's up to the user to determine if they want to open them. Jerry obviously did the right thing by running Norton to check it for the virus. As a sysadmin in a previous life, I have seen viruses in all kinds of attachments so adding one in a zip file is not that uncommon.
    Dave,
    This is a first for the way of sending viruses in a .ZIP FILE, acording to the Yahoo news. I up date my definitions from Norton EVERY Thursday when they release. I did update a week ago and again on Thursday of this week! Good Luck -Jerry
    Jerry