Thread: cap iron screw source?

Question cap iron screw source?

Where can I can cap iron screws? I found these but there is no mention of size/length. I'll be making my irons out of 3/16 - O1 steel and the cap irons out of 1/16 or 1/8 (haven't decided). I found some on eBay but they're $7-$15 each - which I think is a bit outrageous.

I looked on Hock's site and in his FAQ he stated... for all other parts contact Woodcraft or call Stanley. I didn't have any luck on Woodcraft. Haven't called Stanley

I think I found a screw on McMaster-Carr that would work - it just doesn't "look" like traditional cap iron screws.
    -Lud

Both LV and LN will sell you cap iron screws, though neither advertises it. Call them up and ask them. They run about $2 or $2.50 each.
    The LV screws are knurled and have a boss on the underside of the head. The boss centers in the slot. If you use these screws, both the slot in the iron and the tapped hole in the cap iron need to be accurately centered within about .005 or you will have problems.
    The LN screws are not knurled and do not have the boss. They are a tad longer. FWIW I use the LV screws.
    I wouldn't make the cap irons out of 1/16" steel--use 1/8". Mild steel is fine.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Both LV and LN will sell you cap iron screws, though neither advertises it. Call them up and ask them. They run about $2 or $2.50 each.
    The LV screws are knurled and have a boss on the underside of the head. The boss centers in the slot. If you use these screws, both the slot in the iron and the tapped hole in the cap iron need to be accurately centered within about .005 or you will have problems.
    The LN screws are not knurled and do not have the boss. They are a tad longer. FWIW I use the LV screws.
    I wouldn't make the cap irons out of 1/16" steel--use 1/8". Mild steel is fine.
    Hi Steve, thanks for sharing that with us. Do they make cap irons screws able to fit 1/4" thick irons? I've got some 1/4" stock I'd like to use for some irons before I go and get thinner stock for the next few tries.

Thanks!

They only make one size each, and I don't think they would be long enough, so you would need to have custom screws made. Not that it's any of my business, but I wouldn't wish 1/4" irons on anyone. It will get you no advantage over 3/16", and is just a lot more metal to grind.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I see, I'll have to save a cap iron project for thinner stock I guess. I know that 1/4" stock holds no advantage over thinner stock but it's what I have lying around and I wanted to get some more experience with heat treating in my little propane forge before ordering new stock. Grinding a new bevel on hardened 1/4" steel got a little arduous to the point I had a drama playing on my phone in my lap and would glance down at fight scenes. On a happy note for my grinder I've found a brand new length of 5/32" stock I bought years ago which should be alright.

Thanks for chiming in, Steve. I was looking at McMaster-Carr and also saw the knurled boss screws. I’ll give LV a shout and buy a handful of screws. For the price M-C is selling their screws, I’ll also take a chance I buy a bag of theirs.
    -Lud

The L-N No. 8 has a blade about 1/4" thick, so a screw from them sounds ideal.

David Charlesworth

Lee Valley replied with a no. Lie-Nielsen replied with a link where they get their screws: https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...akerscrew.aspx

I also emailed Ron Hock, but given the name of the screw sold by Highland - his answer may be the same.

I ordered 5 @ $2 each plus shipping. Once they arrive I can start milling my next irons and drill and tap my chipbreakers. The addiction is taking hold.
    -Lud