Thread: Interior paint over exterior primer. Yes, No?

Question Interior paint over exterior primer. Yes, No?

I have a small interior project that will require being primed first. I already have a can of exterior latex primer. Is there really any harm using it with an interior latex paint? They are both the same brand, both are water based latex. The only difference is interior vs exterior.

TIA
    Kerry

I use one primer ,Glidden Gripper ,for both . PAINT is different ,they say exterior paint is too soft for interior,and interior too hard for exterior.

I would not expect issues so long as you take care to get a nice smooth uniform coat.. I would be more concerned going the other way as exterior finishes get painted over everything under the sun and so have to be better at sticking to all sorts of things including masonry, cement, rocks, rough wood, smooth wood, treated wood, rotten wood, metal, other paint, and even vinyl ... Interior finishes are mostly painted on drywall, drywall joint compound, and old paint

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Wright View Post
    I have a small interior project that will require being primed first. I already have a can of exterior latex primer. Is there really any harm using it with an interior latex paint? They are both the same brand, both are water based latex. The only difference is interior vs exterior.
    IMO it's generally a good idea to avoid putting hard finish layers over softer ones, which is what you may be doing here (can't say for sure without knowing the specifics of the products involved).

If they are both latex, waterborne and the same brand, it will be fine. The difference is actually durability rather than hardness. I always use exterior paints for internal wet areas. Cheers

Thank you all for your advice. It looks like I'm going to have more time to finish this project so I'll do up a couple of test pieces and see how they turn out.

Thanks again!