Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper technique question

Ya, just like that!

The last columns I did were 10" x 11' long with a 1" chamfer ending in a stretched reverse ogee. I did the chamfer on the shaper and then made a couple of router bits to do the ogee running across the corner on a saddle. Could have done it with a chisel quicker if it had not been Versatex. Versatex does not chisel so good.

Larry, Peter G came up with a good way to do that for quantities using a sliding saw with a custom cutter in a tenon head. Maybe he will post a picture.

Blog Entries
    When trying a new approach, I practice on scraps while developing a safe approach.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    Johnny, sorry I didn't explain what I'm attempting very clearly. I'm chamfering the edge of a post with the post laying flat against the fence and bed. Wouldn't the cut be symmetrical at each end?
    I got what you were saying. The best way to visualize what i was describing is to look at a chamfer cutter or bit. From the top its a radius, from the side its an angle. The end of your cut will mimic this difference. Running both faces against the fence will cancel out the difference. Of course, this isn't a problem with a tilting shaper with a straight cutter.

Joe's setup is great.

I often do insertion molding using stops on the shaper, yes I have a tilting spindle shaper.

Use the hold down from a Shaw guard and a couple of stops, it works very well.

I also would avoid a router if at all possible..............Rod.

Joe's post (#15) is your best bet. You can approxomate the aigner kit with scraps clamped on. Way cleaner and more elegant than a router.