Thread: precatalized lacquer

precatalized lacquer

Wondered if anybody has had any experience with this stuff? I have used the regular catalized lacquer and it is pretty easy to use. I'd like to know the pros and cons, or the differences in using it. I've heard application timing and different materials, a sealer and top coat etc. Any advise would be welcome. I'm mainly using it for durability and repairability as I don't like poly much.

Lacquer

Tim,
    Now I'm not an expert on this stuff even though I use a bit of it. I'll give you my take on what I use and you or someone can correct me. I buy M.L Campbell Precat Lacquer which is their Magnalac I believe. Heck I just bought this yesterday and I can't remember, see what happens when you use this stuff. This is already mixed in one or five gallon cans and you use it right out of the can, thinned to your specs.

The other stuff you maybe refering to is Conversion Varnish or what I believe is called post catalalyzed lacquer. Now as I said I use it but I may have that terminology screwed up. This stuff you mix at a ratio of so much catalyst to lacquer. And yes, there is a time frame. You need to use it with in a certain amount of time depending on the amount of catalyst you put in. The directions that I once remember reading said that it could be used up to 24 hrs thats a bit long for it to sit once it is mixed. When I have used it I try to mix enough but not too much. A little left over is worst than not having enough. Just put an extra coat on. The conversion vanishes set up a bit harder than the precatalyzed lacquers and if you have a good system to spray them with they do a great job. But you really need to evacuate the air, if you think precat smells this is a bit worst. Drys quick sands up great, I wish I could use it all the time but I can only use it when I go to a friends cabinet shop to spray. which is not offen, I usually spray Magnalac out side when the temps. are above 65 degrees. I live in Pittsburgh so I guess I not spraying until April.

Well I hope any of my info helps and I'm sure someone will correct my errors but this is what I know about the two products.

I shoot Sherwood catalyzed (pre-cat) lacquer, product line T77-Fxx. Comes in three sheens...dull, meduium, and shiny. The 'xx' after the F desiginates the sheen. You can either add the catalyst yourself, or they'll add it for you at the store. Once catalyzed, the shelf life is 6 months. Read the label yourself and make sure they use (or you buy) the correct catalyst.

It's available in both one-gallon and five-gallon cans, tho many stores will have one or the other, or none. If you have more than one local store, they may stock differently. Whether they normally stock it or not, they can get it for you...but they may try to convince you they can't.

I think with Sherwood products, if it says 'conversion', it'll be good for 24 hours after catalyzing.

KC

I've also used the ML Campbell Magnalac, which is a precat-lacquer. I was using a borrowed pressure pot and spray gun. I found spraying lacquer to be easy and forgiving.

Rob