Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankee 41Y drill

Blog Entries

Yankee 41Y drill

I was in the shop using my Yankee drill. It is an old one with a new set of bits. I was wondering if they are still available.
    Well, it turns out they are available and new ones are being made. Mine is antique and I am proud of it.
    I would not be without mine.

I was surprised at this. I am curious, do many of you have and use one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I was in the shop using my Yankee drill. It is an old one with a new set of bits. I was wondering if they are still available.
    Well, it turns out they are available and new ones are being made. Mine is antique and I am proud of it.
    I would not be without mine.

I was surprised at this. I am curious, do many of you have and use one?
    My three do not get used much:

Push Drills Stanley #41.jpg

My preference is an eggbeater most of the time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My eggbeater seems to have disappeared in the flood. I will look for another one. I had not thought of it in a while.

I carry one in my toolbag great for a few quick screwholes .

Have two of them...both marked as North Bros.

Used for pilot holes for hinge screws. One came with a single bit, the other with 6 out of 8 bits.

I have one I bought new from Garrett Wade a couple years back. Gets occasional use. Glad to have it when I need it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Mine is a Klein that I bought probably close to 25 years ago. About two years ago, I needed some replacement bits and found the bits from Garrett Wade fit.

The Klein, like my big Yankee ratchet screwdriver, do not see a great deal of use, but when called upon they perform the work needed.

I have two. Use them often. I like the black one a little better top screws on and handle is a little bigger.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regularly. Nothing faster for a small hole; and, when installing household hardware like brackets for shades, it's way easy to have one in your pocket while standing on the stepladder, juggling the hardware, the ruler, etc., much more so than an eggbeater or powah tool.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I am curious, do many of you have and use one?
    I have one- my first cordless drill purchased early in my career over 40 years ago. Don't use it much anymore but when I do, I wonder why I don't. Way too much invested in Makita 18v drills I suppose. But it does have a permanent spot in my bag of tricks that goes wherever I go for field work.

Blog Entries
    Those of you that have a bit of rust on your drill, a wire wheel on a bench grinder will remove it.
    Then coat it with paste Johnson's floor wax to prevent the rust from coming back.
    I have been de-rusting tools that went through Harvey. I have saved hundreds of dollars worth
    of tools.

I use mine to find studs behind sheetrock with a 1/16th inch drill bit. In seconds, I can locate the edges so that the fastener is placed in the center. Best of all, it's a one hand job as I'm holding the ladder with the other hand.

I have six, all Yankee; 130, 30, 41Y, 45, 133H and 33H. I bought two, the 130 & 30 many years ago (45-50 yrs), the 41Y about 30 years ago in a pawn shop and all the others were gifted to me by clients and friends after visits to the shop. I use them for drilling small holes and driving screws. I can't begin to estimate the number of residential door hinge screws I've installed with the 130.

Blog Entries
    My experience with the later #41 is the nut holding the bit holder up strips easily. One of mine feeds the bits through a hole in the top. One of them takes a different end on the bit. They don't get much use. Now if it had bits that could drill and countersink a hole for various sized screws, that would get me to use it more often.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use mine for small quick small holes where the cordless Makita would be clumsy. Also have a Miller's Falls and some Stanley yankee screwdrivers that get used occasionally for small screws like drawer slides.