Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

16 Apr 2018

Greetings,
    I hope that everyone survided the storms and severe weather that we have experienced recently. Got up this morning and turned the heat back on after having the A/C on for a bit last week. I got some more organization work done around the house and helped the LOML finish up another upholstery job. Also spent some time helping my youngest son work on his motorcycle and I worked on cleaning up around my bench grinder and Tormek. I had to start somewhere, so I chose there. I bought CBN wheels for my grinder and I'm trying to get all the wobble out of both wheels. Turns out to be a larger challenge than I thought it would be. Visited with some friends that we haven't seen in a long time and played a bit of guitar while my daughter played piano. I go oncall duty this week and my hope is that it's a quiet week for oncall duty.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I spent the day removing rust from tools that were under water after Hurricane Harvey. I take the rust off with a wire wheel on my bench grinder.
    After the steel is bright again, I put Johnson's floor wax on the steel. The tools are stained, but will be smooth and free from rust.

Made 4 more dovetailed boxes for practice. Good weekend.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Spent most of Saturday at my sons house. Had a "Low Country Pig Picking". That is another name for a BBQ. When my northern friends cook hamburgers and hot dogs outside on a grill, they call that a BBQ.

This is a BBQ....BBQ.jpg
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Spent most of Saturday at my sons house. Had a "Low Country Pig Picking". That is another name for a BBQ. When my northern friends cook hamburgers and hot dogs outside on a grill, they call that a BBQ.

This is a BBQ....BBQ.jpg
    Looks very tasty. Yes we call grilling BBQing.

When I started working in Virginia I learned that what I was going to receive at a BBQ restaurant wasn't what I was expecting, very tasty however.

That said I wiped out on the ice a couple of times over the weekend and eventually gave up on keeping up with the shoveling. I put the last coat of polyurethane on the fireplace cabinet, this week I'll glue and grout the ceramic tiles........Rod.

'Glad you got some shop time, Dennis. I wonder if those CBN wheels can be balanced with the OneWay system like I have on my more traditional grinding wheels?

Eclectic week for me, and as usual...busy, busy, busy... As I'm planning to have our parking area and driveway paved in the very recent future (as soon as the CNC is delivered and in the shop), I needed to complete the replacement retaining wall project I began last year and did so over the course of two days last week. It was relatively easy, outside of maneuvering heavy 6"x6"x10' PT timbers after spending a lot of time getting the bottom row perfectly level and straight and turned out great. After completing the build, it didn't take long to get a coat of opaque stain on the new wall and things are ready to go for the paving company to come do their thing. I'm looking forward to no longer tracking dirt and small stones into the house constantly, the "not fun" spring cleanup of driveway stone that ends up on the lawn from snow removal and repairing the large ruts that develop in the driveway when we have an episode of heavy rain.

IMG_0545.jpg

Additionally, I got the doors for the new, deeper kitchen upper cabinets finished with two coats of primer, two coats of color and two coats of EM800cv during all of that wall building, got the cabinets hung on Sunday and the door fit fine-tuned. Today, I'll complete that work, reinstall the under cabinet LED lighting, clean things up and then start planning out the finishing trim for where the ceiling/cabinet meets. I don't want to just use a typical commercial profile this time around. Tosca (our Senegal parrot) carefully inspected my work as I went about it and gave the CXS some instruction, too.

IMG_0621.jpg

While Saturday is normally my "day off" from doing things other than food shopping and other errands, given the 80º day and impending, cold and stormy weather following it, I got three trees planted at the front of our property parallel to the road to replace those that were lost in recent years.

This week, I need to clean up in the shop after the cabinet job as the CNC machine should arrive later in the week and get a small threshold commission built.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-16-2018 at 9:56 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, since we were in the band of 'weather' that affected the Midwest, I spent most of the weekend indoors... Friday night we hunkered down with a couple of old fashioneds and watched a movie. Had to turn up the volume a bit as the wind was blowing at 30 mph, with gusts up to 45 or so. My fiancee had to put earplugs in to get to sleep that night.

Saturday, I checked the weather and it was more of the same. Went down to the basement, and got all the framing done for the remodel. Had a bunch of odds and ends type things like backing and shoulder studs to get installed. All should be done and ready for electrical.

Yesterday, it hadn't changed too much, but I did get out to my shop for the morning. Had to get past a 3' drift in between the house and the outbuilding though. Spent the time out there making some picture frames and finishing up a couple of expandable monopods that I came up with for some photography. Then I got to break out the snowblower and get the driveway mostly done. I knew it was to be windy throughout the night, so I kind of gave it a lick and a promise. This morning, I got it cleared as best I could and cleaned out the snowbank from the plow.

I scored a couple of bunks of 6" x 10" x 6' timbers at an auction a week or three ago, so I used some of those to put in a tiered vegetable garden bed this weekend (our backyard has a decent slop to it). Still some work left to do before it is finished (and dog-proofed), but I'm hoping to finish it up in the next week-ish so we're ready to put plants in the ground. We recently moved and didn't have a garden last year and don't want to be without one for a second year in a row this year.

I also upgrading the stepper motors on my CNC machine (picked up some motors and beefy industrial drivers for dirt cheap), which is starting to lead me down the rabbit hole of what other upgrades I "need" to do this year... oh how the projects continue..
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Well it is sort of looking like spring here in southern Alberta. Half of my lawn is still under about two feet of snow and the rest is melting fast . So now we have flooding and the gravel roads in farm country are a wreck. Anyhow I built a new mezzanine and storage area in my shop. Huge deal,now I can actually put stuff away. Also replaced arbor bearings in another Delta contractor saw,ready to sell. have two more Unisaws to rebuild and a DJ-20 and a Walker Turner bandsaw. Then it is all wood and only wood. Mike.

A wild week for me. Had one lathe student just one day. Remodeling in progress in and outside the house: We poured concrete pour in five forms, two half-days of plumbing, tore down some siding, filled one of the 18' trailers with deck demolition debris to haul off, tore out a bookcase and tore into a wall, had the new shower doors installed, did a bit of welding and pipe threading, worked on the beehives, created and taught two Sunday lessons for two large groups of kids, took one grandson to a Lego competition (he was the youngest there at 7, still won an award!), both boys stayed the weekend (always interesting), brain fried, can't remember what else. Ack. By Sunday afternoon I was plumb worn out, felt like I was beat with a stick. My ToDo list for this week is Monday: rest, Tuesday: rest, ...

JKJ

Installed 400 Sq. Feet of flooring in my sweetie's Sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Trebuna View Post
    Installed 400 Sq. Feet of flooring in my sweetie's Sewing room.
    Wow! That is either an incredibly wide angle lens or it's a Sewing Palace! Or both. I'll bet she's thrilled.

I knocked up a printer stand out of some left over spindles and BB ply scraps.
    20180416_060429.jpg

Put a lift kit on my second workbench.

Workbench on new casters 2.jpgWorkbench on new casters 3.jpg
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

folding drying rack out of cherry & stainless steel tubing....

DSC_5632.JPGDSC_5631.JPG