Thread: Considering a shop remodel, need some advice (long)

Considering a shop remodel, need some advice (long)

First, sorry about the length of this post! A finishing area has continued to be a wish of mine. Initially I wanted to build a finishing room in the unfinished part of the building where I store my tractor, lumber and misc "stuff", but that will first require pouring concrete since there is a dirt/gravel floor, plus I'll have to do framing, insulation, electrical, heat, etc. We have a lot of other things we want to do with the house, so this is a long way off, if ever, unless of course the lottery pool at work hits the Powerball tonight. Since that's fairly unlikely, I've decided to look for other options.

One thought is to move my hardware storage and 8' of cabinets/counters off the one wall. The area I'm describing is in the first picture. I have about 2' by 8' of the metal panels that hold Akro-bins which could be reconfigured vertically in another TBD area of the shop. The drawbacks to this location is finding the wall space for the hardware and the cabinetry, and the fact that my furnace is adjacent to that area. I can probably move at least 2 of the 3 cabinets under the adjacent window, but that is where I currently store my drum sander when not in use. I also use the window for an AC unit during the summer.

I have this room in my shop that the previous owner had built as a storage room. When I was initially building out the interior, I had thought about turning it into a finishing room, but with the help of fellow Creekers, found that it was too small to be practical. I finished off the interior of the room as an office and have a computer, my stereo, and a small fridge in there. The room is shown in a picture below. I've also thought about tearing out the room and using the space for finishing. The drawbacks include needing to find a place for the stuff that's in there--I'd probably have to build a cabinet to keep the dust off the electronics, which I'd have to find a space for. I also would lose the ability to eventually heat the space with an electic baseboard to have an area to keep glues and finishes above freezing. Additionally, I'd have to find a new way to install my cyclone and blower, and I'd have to find a new space for my plywood storage.
    (sorry--can't figure out how to get this to display as an image instead of a link--if you click the link you can see what I'm talking about)

I like the idea of being able to create a finishing area using curtains, but with 12' ceilings, that's rather difficult. I built a knockdown spray booth, but it is difficult to use because 1/2 of the year the only window that I can use it by has the AC unit installed in it. What I've recently begin thinking about is creating an enclosure like an open-face spray booth, deep enough to "store" a decent size project. I'd install a set of heavy canvas or plastic curtains across the front that would allow me to close the curtains to keep dust from settling on a project in the finishing stage allowing me to work on other stuff. I'm thinking this booth would need to be about 6' wide, 7' high, 5' deep to allow for room in the back for a set of spray booth-like filters. A large fan would be installed in the wall to draw out fumes. I would finish the interior with drywall or smooth white paneling. Of course if I could find a deal on a used booth I'd jump right on that.

Any way, I'm hoping that one or two people will make it to this point in my post and have a couple ideas that might prompt me to find a decent solution.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 11-15-2005 at 9:46 PM.

hi matt
    ok do you do this for a living ?
    if so then you are probably right in thinking about a seperate room. if you are really only a hobby it seems like you have more than enough room to do what you want on the project that you are currently working on. I sort of have a seperate room for finishing, but a lot of the time I finish in my main shop and then roll the piece to dry into the finish room. you could do that with the little room in the corner on your shop.

what type of finish do you use? sounds like you like to spray. It looks to me that you have a lot of space in your shop so you should be able to move things around. In my shop I have a loft over the 10 foot walls that I store about 8,000 of lumber and that seems to work fine. I put a ladder up there to pull the wood I want and then remove it afterwards. you might be able to make some type of partial loft on one side of the shop where you did not need the 12 foot ceiling height. that would free up space for you.

lou

Hi Matt. I have only a single room shop and no chance of a dedicated finishing room. I have not done this yet but I am thinking of making a curtain system like you said. I am planning on using 4 mil. poly and hanging it like a shower curtain. Keep us posted. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    hi matt
    ok do you do this for a living ?
    No, its a hobby, but I've started getting requests to do things for others.

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    what type of finish do you use? sounds like you like to spray.
    To date, I've mostly been using wipe-on finishes, but I want to switch to using sprayed finishes. The couple times I've sprayed, its made a huge mess of the shop, so I really want to install an exhaust fan or "spray booth". I'm hoping the new Wagner HVLP gun I expect to receive today and switching to waterborne products will help reduce the overspray issue. The second main issue I'm trying to overcome is that I really don't like finishing--its more of a necessary evil to me. I'm hoping that by creating a dedicated area with some kind of sheltering from the rest of the shop that I'll be able to do other stuff during the finishing process to make it less of a drag. Right now if finishing a project takes a week, I can't do any other projects for that week.

ok I understand the flow of things in your shop..
    that was why I asked if you were doing it for a hobby or a living. hey if it is a hobby then just wait till the project if finished. The other thing you could do is put the finish on the piece and roll it into that little room and close the door , big filter on the space where the window is to allow for ventatlation. You should be able to put a pretty big piece of furniture in that room to set a spell. If you end up using some of the fast drying laquers you can almost finish a piece in a day.

lou
    Last edited by lou sansone; 11-16-2005 at 8:09 AM.

Another thought came to me today after reading your message, Lou. I could create a small area in the corner, under the furnace. I can easily keep 2' of clearance to the furnace (it only requires 1") Thinking I could make it five feet deep and 6' wide with the 6' face open. The cabinets currently along the wall could go on the 5' side and at least 2 of the 3 Akro bin holders could still go above. I could put heavy curtains across the opening for when I want to protect a piece from other work I'm doing. The back wall isn't an exterior wall, so I would have to exhaust out the wall that is to the left of the picture--the one with the window. I'd have to do some rearranging of dust collection and move my bandsaw, but it could go where the cabinets are now.