Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and a Summer time tool Gloat (BIG)

Red face Hello and a Summer time tool Gloat (BIG)

Alright, so i have been lurking on the mill now for a while, first as a guest, then as a registered user, and now finally as a member who actually posts. I am fairly new to woodworking, i took 4 years of shop at highschool and actually worked for the teacher at night as an assistant for the woodworking class he ran. Anyways, i went to college last year (U of M) and had been itching to do some work and over the summer i decided to build a shop. I rented 1200 feet of warehouse space, worked like hell, and saved enough money to buy ALOT of tools. My philosophy was buy tools that i would be able to use for at least 20 years. For handtools thats pretty easy, but for machinery its not. I researched and this is what i came up with. Anyways, i wanted to finally pop my head up and say hello. Heres what i bought this summer:

I bought alot of LN chisels, planes, hand saws, Starrett measuing and marking, etc etc.

laguna 18" bandsaw with resaw blade and lots of blades

Laguna TS with Scoring, mobility, and Sliding Table.

Delta x5 16 1/2" drill press (overkill)

Minimax 16" jointer planer with mortising, Just bought (today)

10 24" bessey k body clamps

10 40" bessey k body

6 60" bessey k bodu

6 98" bessey k body

40 bessey c clamps

Lots, Lots, Lots more. The sick part is i feel like i have just the beginings of what i need, even though i know i have more than most. Another thing i planned for though is this. I am 20 now, and in college, in 2 years i'll be on my own and not making enough money to buy the tools i want, and in 10 years i probably have a family, mortgage, allowances, food to pay for. Right now i pay for car insurance, part of my houseing for college, and a couple other things that i can easily pay. So i should buy tools now, and buy tools that will last me a long time.

How do i pay for it all??? Over the summer i worked as a counselor at a computer camp, I assembled (4) play structures and stained them (30 by 60, playground sized !!!), demolished old sheds and buillt new ones for a neighbor, and moved a house with 2 of my friends. In addition, a fair amount of trim carpentry that justified to the parents and SO the tools being bought

Right now i am actually a SAT tutor for 15 hours a week and am about to start a job working in a cabinet shop for 8-16 hours on the weekend do various tasks, but hope to learn something.

Now if i could only afford some wood...
    and some time to actually use the tools...

just kidding, i still do manage an hour or three a day between school and work.

Well, i'm rambling, this is a great place and a pool of knowledge and i am really glad that i found the mill, i have already learned alot just reading alot of threads here, and now that i'm posting i'll probably have a question a day

Welcome to the Creek, Will. Since you've already lurked a bit, there's likely no need to tell you what a great place this is. Man, you really know how to start equipping a shop. I wish I'd been that on top of things when I was 20. Sounds like you have big plans for the future. We'll be looking forward to some pics of finished projects (after you save up for some wood. ).

Great gloat-

- Vaughn

Will,

Welcome to the "Creek." You, obviously, have done some research and are off to a great start. You've enough tools that will last a life time, and more than likely be passed on to others. Good choice of schools also. Whatever you plan on making, you've got the tools to make it. At your young age, I might suggest you start planning on some type of dust collection. At 20 I was still in my "immortal" thinking stage like most. You'll have a lot of years to decide to collect dust in your lungs or your dust collection system. I would pick the system.

Again, welcome and let's see some pictures of that shop. You see, if it doesn't include pictures, it's not a gloat. It's one of the rules, you see.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

hi will
    welcome to the creek... your going to have fun here. looks like you are off to a very good start on the tool side of things. I think that they are well thought out purchases and should last for at least 20 years.
    As far as wood goes, find a sawmill that is out of the way in the hills and start buying odds and ends and you will be surprised at how quickly you get a pile of wood that will last for a long time.
    so what are you going to college for?

best wishes
    lou

Welcome to the "Creek" Will.

It sounds like you are going about this woodworking thing very intellegently. Get the stuff while you can and buy quality that will last.

Only problem I see is, I can't see any of this equipment. I would have to assume that all this equipment is a figment of your imagination at this point in time.

We need pictures Will.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Sorry Will,
    You are off to a very bad start here at the creek . No pictures. every modern WW knows a camera is part of the shop for gloating. Until we see something this is and official Non Gloat! .

Welcome, glad to have you but we will be waiting for some evidence that your claims are true
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 11-16-2005 at 8:47 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Gotta love working to buy tools!!!!!

That is what I do. I do just enough professional work to fund the shop. I don't have the budget left over from my real professional life, so I let the hobby pay for itself.

Welcome.

John

welcome! sounds as though you`re off to a good start. the cabinet shop is a great idea you should learn some valuable production techniques there. as the other folks have said, check into dust collection asap, as much for your machines as your health. hang out here there are lotsa pretty fart smellers tod

Pretty good inventory for a greenhorn . We've all been there and done that for sure. At least your story seems similar to my own. I wish you were close and I would give you some shop time on the weekends in my cabinet shop. Lots of RP doors to assemble and lots of cabinets to finish sand and stain. Heck I might even turn over the HVLP to let you do some spray finishing for me. I've got plenty of work right now and only get to work on the weekends right now just like you. Somehow I've been able to get my shop tool inventory up there where about all I need now is a Kreg Forman jig and a mortising machine and oh yeah....... It never ends you know. I'm 48 and still collecting tools. You know that the guy who dies owning the most tools wins
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Welcome to SMC Will lets see some pictures, what you have sounds like a a great start I can almost hear the tools running but I feel sort of blind right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager
    You know that the guy who dies owning the most tools wins
    Jim I always get a kick out of this saying. I always think " He's now dead & someone else now has his tools. Hopefully someone in the family has the tools & appreciates them & will give them tender loving care & use them for many years in remembrance of the person that used to own them."
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Hi Will, Welcome to SMC. You've made some great purchases of some fine tools. Congratulations.
    take care.
    John

Hey Will, a BIG WELCOME to what many of us believe to be the best WW forum on the Web! Whew, it sounds like you've definitely hit the bricks running! NOTE: I said "sounds"! When we see the pics, we can then say, "looks"!!! Like Tyler indicates, a camera is an extremely important part of the whole WW experience, especially 'round these parts! Enjoy your tools AND your visits at the Creek! Come often, stay long!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch

Jim I always get a kick out of this saying. I always think " He's now dead & someone else now has his tools. Hopefully someone in the family has the tools & appreciates them & will give them tender loving care & use them for many years in remembrance of the person that used to own them."
    Bart!
    I always got real uneasy when my daughters X boy friend came around. The way he use to Eyeball my toyls made me plan on living a long life.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Welcome Will,
    Hope to see some photos of projects produced from those fine tools real soon.

Tyler's Toyls that has a nice ring to it. Ha Ha Ha I I I I....Like it!!!
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen