Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Else Buy The SS Woodpeckers Paolini Rules?

Anybody Else Buy The SS Woodpeckers Paolini Rules?

Few years back I bought the 6" aluminum version. Love it and use it all the time bu the edges are wearing. So I waited almost 3-months to get the stainless set. When the bright light hit them you can see intermittent scratch marks. You can't feel them but they are very shinny at times when you use the rule. I contacted WP and they sent out another set. Same thing scattered marks. I'm ready to send them both back for a refund. I paid $130 and expected perfection like my Sterrett. My wife always thinks I'm too critical - am I?

Wondering if anyone else bought these and noticed the marks.

Thanks,

Mike

You paid a premium price for a product, so yeah, if you don't think it's worth it or wasn't made to the standard to warrant that price, send them back. You aren't being too critical in this this situation, in my opinion. If enough reject this, it may eventually get woodpeckers not let those products with noticeable scratches out of the shop. The OneTime tools are crazy expensive, and I'd expect something near flawless for what they want for them.

Mike, I think that it is unreasonable to believe that a stainless steel edge will not scratch with use. They may arrive in flawless condition, but they will not remain that way unless you leave them on the shelf. The scratches are badges of honour .. of being put to good use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with Nick that if it isn't worth it to you, whether due to a blemish or whatever, you should send it back. With the price WP charges, I think they set themselves up for (and to a certain extent deserve) that.

Now that being said, just about every single OTT I've received from WP could have been sent back for similar reasons. So it might be perfectly reasonable for you to decide it's not worth it, but perhaps unreasonable to expect that level of perfection from WP's processes. It's also very possible that I'm too forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mike, I think that it is unreasonable to believe that a stainless steel edge will not scratch with use. They may arrive in flawless condition, but they will not remain that way unless you leave them on the shelf. The scratches are badges of honour .. of being put to good use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    +1.

But I was surprised to hear that WP didn't double check the second rule before it was sent out as a replacement, knowing the reason for your complaint.

Simon

Here is photo for reference:

D9381311-8B79-4F5B-A873-8624CD8410D9.jpg

These show up if the light hits the blemishes. I used my fingernail and you can't feel them. On the other rules the blemishes run the length of the rule so not at noticeable. Looks like the base metal was not finished correctly?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 04-20-2018 at 8:27 AM.

Mike

For $130.00 they shouldn't be blemished like that. They may end up looking like that after a few years of use, but not brand new, out of the box. I would understand wanting to return them. You're paying Starrett prices, you should be able to expect Starrett quality.
    They are however a tool, and as such I would be more concerned with the function of the tool, but that is me. Still, I would have returned them also.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Are the graduations etched in, or just printed? That's an expensive rule, you pay a premium for the right to be picky. Gotta ask, why not just buy Starrett?

I just want to clarify. You have two complaints about the Stainless versions.

1. You can see scratch like marks that are visible under the correct light.
    2. The ruler is very shiny, which makes it more difficult to read at times.

Blemished tools should be sold at a discounted price. I would contact WP with photos and offer them two options: a full return and refund, or a partial refund (discount). I wouldn't want a third delivery (attempt) since this is just a steel rule and if you could live without it during all your woodworking life, it could just be a nice-to-have tool and the purchase experience has not been nice so far.

When I buy a new car, I expect no scratches on the body at the time of delivery, though I know in a few weeks or months, other inconsiderate drivers (or passengers) would cause scratches to it when they bang their doors on my car. Would I go through all the trouble of returning my car, waiting for a replacement, etc, just because of some minor scratches? It depends. I probably won't, but will ask the car dealership to give me something, like some car accessories or what not as compensation (it would be close to being impossible to get some money back based on my experience). For this rule or a high-end plane, I will keep it and use it, provided the seller is willing to do something back as a gesture. You can make it a win-win story assuming the seller is willing to meet you half way.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 04-20-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    These show up if the light hits the blemishes. I used my fingernail and you can't feel them. On the other rules the blemishes run the length of the rule so not at noticeable. Looks like the base metal was not finished correctly?

Mike
    Sure looks like machine marks that we not fully removed during product finishing to me (which is to say, they look exactly like the machine marks I routinely overlook when I'm finishing something, and then bang my forehead later when I discover them). They shouldn't be there in a new in the box, premium-priced product. Woodpeckers is all about hand-made-to-perfection-for-a-premium-price (need a word for that), so that's what they should deliver.

Simple solution, call 'em up. I can't imagine Woodpeckers wouldn't make it right, especially if it's the second time it's happened.

Since I question Woodpecker prices and "one time" sales I would demand perfection. No question about that. Either get a rule with no blemishes or your money back.

I would return it. They charge top buck. It needs to be top quality when it arrives. You are not paying BORG prices here.

I bought a red anodized rule and stop from them. The stop arrived with a chip in the finish. WP immediately replaced it. No muss. No fuss. Call them and Im sure they will help you.

(And if they dont, buy rules from Lee Valley or Carbide Processors next time.)

Fred

They will send out another set after I send the two sets I have on hand back. They don’t trust me.

will report back when I get the new set