Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any panel saws out there?

Blog Entries

Any panel saws out there?

I seldom see one listed.

I made one by cutting down an old Disston. Fun, not very difficult and learned a lot sharpening it following one of the many tutorials on line.

Yes, as a matter of fact I have 6 of them!
    I tried to send you a PM, but it's telling me your inbox is full.
    Thanks,
    Rick

I can find ones from 14" to 24" long about anytime I go out looking.....where? Can't divulge "State Secrets".....

Have a Disston D-8 20" long, with 10ppi, currently at the sharpening service.....teeth are too small for my eyes, and I have double vision in both eyes....makes doing small items a bit rough to do.

Seems about half the yard sales around here have a couple on their tables....

Blog Entries
    I emptied the box.

I have 3 panel saws and 4 full size, just always like the panels so have bought them when I see them.

I am currently restoring a Disston #7 that is dated to the 1870's. The handle was held together by 3 screws, and is in horrible shape, so I made a new one from apple. The saw plate was also in badly misused shape, but I hammered it back flat, and the spring steel the plate was made from is magnificent. I'm looking forward to finishing it, filing it, and putting it to work. It's 20" long.
    Jeff

I have about a dozen I have picked up over the years from 16" to 24". Mostly D-8's but a couple 7's and 12's.
    None bought online, all at yard sales, flea markets and swap meets.

When my niece was small, she was visiting and wanted to do some cutting so I got out a 16" and let her use it. It fit her perfectly and she had fun doing it.

Ken

In my many years of accumulating, I have MANY! My favorites? #16 and #12's, with saw plates around 18 to 22 inches. For a new saw, I have a LN cross cut that is excellent.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

My favourite is an Air Master Keystone by Disston 20" - supposed to be a cheap saw but great steel, taper ground. Just need to soften all the handle edges to end up with a great bench saw.

Blog Entries
    Don't you just love using a well made hand saw.
    I have twelve Disston saws. Some have new handles I made. They all have had the grunge removed, set and sharpened.
    I filed the teeth off of one and re-toothed it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-22-2018 at 11:26 AM.

I have the modern Pax pair, which are decent with a nicely tapered though somewhat thicker than ideal plate. The rip was a bit under-set and tended to bind, though that was easy enough to rectify. Pax ships a proper 0 degree rake on their rip panel, which was a pleasant surprise.

I bought the panel saws because my shop is in the garage, and my working space at the bench is limited when a car is present. Since then I've decided that I actually like the form factor more than my big saws (26 and 28" D12s) for quickie one-off work, though the Paxen can't hold a candle to the D12s overall so I usually reach for the big saws anyway if I have room to work with them.

I may invest in "good" panel saws at some point. There's a good possibility that my dealer will see this and try to lure me back off the GAS wagon :-).

Blog Entries
    I have a 10 tpi D-12 that came to me grungy and with a broken handle. It has a new curly maple handle that I made along with new bright brass saw nuts.
    I know it is a D-12 because you can read the medallion. I refiled the teeth crosscut.

2 days ago I fashioned this old Spear & Jackson handsaw into a 16 inch panel saw . The original saw plate was severely kinked at the toothline 8 inches back from the toe. Changes included the filing in of a new tooth pattern. 12 TPI, crosscut profile. (Note the use of a Japanese Feather File (aid to accuracy) during the tpi notching in stage)

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 04-26-2018 at 6:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have three saws that I did that to. Mine do not compare with yours, but they are sharp and cut nicely.