Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Sets

The Eclipse #77 (L175MM) was manufactured in 2 pin sizes to suit a wide range of ppi saws. The 42x gets all the attention, but having compared the results of using both types, the Eclipse #77 provides a much more consistent set across the full length of tooth line.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 04-23-2018 at 9:18 PM.

Rob.... Just to put a bug in your ear.... If the company went under - there may be casting patterns as well as jigs/fixtures/production tooling available if you had somebody who knew what to go look for.... That stuff normally sells for pennies on the dollar if that.... I am assuming you have some connections in country with the company since you sell their products... Possibly even prints and designs...

Then you wouldn't have to work out all that stuff from scratch and all....

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    The Eclipse #77 (L175MM) was manufactured in 2 pin sizes to suit a wide range of ppi saws. The 42x gets all the attention, but having compared the results of using both types, the Eclipse #77 provides a much more consistent set across the full length of tooth line.
    The Somax that is going out of production is a clone of the Eclipse, and also comes in 2 pin sizes. I have 3: One each with wide and narrow pins, and a third with a narrow pin that I ground to an even finer point, suitable for 20+ tpi saws. I agree that the Eclipse design is underrated, though I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's clearly better. The 42's sliding wedge is reasonably easy to set repeatably in my experience, and is also very easy to modify (for example by substituting a wedge with a different slope, and filing the pin to match).

One problem with the Somax in particular is that the the anvil is made of pretty soft metal and gets chewed up with use. The Eclipse original may have been better in that regard.

Much noise is made about the Disston 42X. I must have collected about 3 of them. However I much prefer the Eclipse #77, from which the Somax is copied. I find them easier to use. I think I also have 3 of these bronze models. It is easy to file the pins to the size needed, and the anvils are hardened steel. The Somax have a poor reputation in this regard.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The Somax that is going out of production is a clone of the Eclipse, and also comes in 2 pin sizes. I have 3: One each with wide and narrow pins, and a third with a narrow pin that I ground to an even finer point, suitable for 20+ tpi saws. I agree that the Eclipse design is underrated, though I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's clearly better. The 42's sliding wedge is reasonably easy to set repeatably in my experience, and is also very easy to modify (for example by substituting a wedge with a different slope, and filing the pin to match).

One problem with the Somax in particular is that the the anvil is made of pretty soft metal and gets chewed up with use. The Eclipse original may have been better in that regard.
    Photo's make a difference; new saw teeth; 12 tpi; notched in (note the use of a Japanese Feather File for accuracy), then shaped and sharpened with a taper file, , followed by set using the finer pinned Eclipse #77.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 04-24-2018 at 6:03 AM.

I don’t like the ergonomics of the Somax/Eclipse sets. I had a Somax and sold it. I much prefer the Stanley 42x because the pistol grip handle & lever design allows my wrist to stay more neutral. I have some issues with mild carpal tunnel syndrome so the less stress I place on my wrist the better.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

As someone who has set more saw teeth than anyone alive, I can heartily second Brian's statement. The Somax/Eclipse style is very hard on the wrist. If you want carpal tunnel syndrome, use that style of set daily, and you will have your wrists in splints in no time.

As others have noted, the 42X is the coin of the realm in my view. The sliding barrel clamps the blade at exactly 90 degrees and the plunger moves the tooth against the anvil, The design is simple and elegant. It is as popular as it is because I have been singing it's praises for the past 30 years. FWIW, I imagine everyone has their favorite, so need to start a saw set proxy war. No one will miss the Somax if you ask me.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Rob.... Just to put a bug in your ear.... If the company went under - there may be casting patterns as well as jigs/fixtures/production tooling available if you had somebody who knew what to go look for.... That stuff normally sells for pennies on the dollar if that.... I am assuming you have some connections in country with the company since you sell their products... Possibly even prints and designs...

Hi -

A good thought, and worth a shot. The tooling is likely at a subcontractor (foundry) somewhere - perhaps even in another country....

It doesn't hurt to ask though!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post

Of course, Rob's engineers would have to find somewhere to add wavy washers to improve performance...and the style folks would want to paint them black and silver...

Or.... maybe a good April fools tool!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keogh View Post
    Or.... maybe a good April fools tool!!!
    Howdy Jeff, all this time and this is your first post?

It would be difficult for me to be quiet that long.

Back to the April fools tool how about a gang saw set that can set five or more pairs teeth at the same time? Double sided and double handled. Maybe with pneumatic assist.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Jeff, all this time and this is your first post?

It would be difficult for me to be quiet that long.

Back to the April fools tool how about a gang saw set that can set five or more pairs teeth at the same time? Double sided and double handled. Maybe with pneumatic assist.

jtk
    I like to absorb as much as I can..

Interesting thoughts on the two saw sets. The 42x and 77. I have several of both. I do like the 77s for some larger saws and the 42x for the smaller saw teeth, But occasionally use the 77 with the thinner hammer on smaller teeth as well. Unfortunately the 42x is a little more of a problem on small saws due to the proximity to the vise. I generally hang the saw plate off the edge of the vise. A good 42x is very consistent and naturally more comfortable to use. But unless you are setting a lot of teeth every day, not such a big deal. The problem with the Somax version is the soft metal they use for the anvil. Way too soft. I had different ones made out of A2, if I remember correctly. The Somax is also not as precisely fitted as the original 77s, but in a pinch they do the job. Best wishes.

14. It's a bummer that Somax went under but if I would not bet against someone buying them and reopening. It happens all the time. (I don't have any inside info - but I am hopeful)
    -----
    Owner
    Tools for Working Wood

I am surprised that Disston's Monarch saw set is not more popular. Very simple, good support to the base of the tooth for accurate bending, just a joy to use on full size and panel saws.I use a 42X for smaller saws though.I am not any sort of even journeyman saw sharpener, let alone expert, so take my words with a grain of salt.