Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a used 5hp Sawstop?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Inconvenient would be a better word. The bottom line for me is that the SawStop's main feature of reducing the risk of injury isn't worth the $1,800 difference I paid. But I respect that is not the case for others.
    I've always hated paying car insurance. It just felt like burning money. Then some guy ran a stop sign.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Anyone think this mobile base will do? Currently the one I use for my Unisaw and was thinking about keeping it. The ICS mobile bases is $300
    I like this one $56 https://www.grizzly.com/products/-Be...le-Base/T28000

t28000-2c05dca311eb0caa2eb6d773be1a531c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Preach. I can't understand how that "sliders are safer" rubbish persist.The most dangerous cuts on a cabinet saw just get more awkward and dangerous on a slider.
    Would you mind expanding a bit on this? Especially which awkward and dangerous cuts your referring to. If you can clamp your work to the table and stand 18" from the blade while making your cut, why is that rubbish? If slider users are not willing to take the time to use the proper technique or spend the money on the proper gear, then yes, using a slider like a cabinet saw can be disadvantageous and unsafe. Im still learning how to use mine to its full and safest potential. Thats why I am asking for an explanation, not to be argumentative.

Marty

Has your girlfriend/wife tried talking you out of the SawStop?

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    Has your girlfriend/wife tried talking you out of the SawStop?
    Gf may work, wife definitely won't!

https://www.google.com/search?q=wife...i_XqAwJeUcZyM:

...unless a divorce process is on the plate.

Simon

in 2005 the salesman showed my wife a video of the Sawstop ICS and she demanded I order one on the spot. I hadn't even considered it. Like insurance I think.

The Grizzly or the like CANNOT do all that the SS ICS or upgraded PCS mobile base can.

You can move the 500+-pound beast with the hydraulic mobile base even on carpeted floor, side way or forward or backward!

Simon

I've always hated paying car insurance. It just felt like burning money. Then some guy ran a stop sign.
    I hate paying for insurance too. At the time I traded my Unisaw for the SawStop I had a number of friends that used to stop by for fellowship and woodworking and I made the trade more out of concern for their safety than my own. Fortunately no one ever had an accident. Now that I'm back to a one man shop I hope I never get careless and have to rely on the saw to save me. But if I didn't have a SawStop, I wouldn't stop using a table saw or my radial arm saw for that matter. Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is another story. Acceptable risk is a personal choice.

Patrick, I wouldn't use one of the mobile bases that use wood to connect the four corners, but maybe that's just me. Maybe they're not unsafe, but I just prefer steel to support that much weight.

I use the ICS base on my PCS and am very happy with it. I work in a one-car garage and move the saw every time I use it, parking it against a wall in a pretty small, defined space. The four swiveling wheels are very handy for that, but I would have to disagree with those who say you can move anything that heavy with one finger. There's this thing called inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    but I would have to disagree with those who say you can move anything that heavy with one finger. There's this thing called inertia.
    One finger?

Yes if it is just an empty base. I can move my saw on that base with just one hand though (with dome effort).

Simon

Preach. I can't understand how that "sliders are safer" rubbish persist.The most dangerous cuts on a cabinet saw just get more awkward and dangerous on a slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    Would you mind expanding a bit on this? Especially which awkward and dangerous cuts your referring to. If you can clamp your work to the table and stand 18" from the blade while making your cut, why is that rubbish? If slider users are not willing to take the time to use the proper technique or spend the money on the proper gear, then yes, using a slider like a cabinet saw can be disadvantageous and unsafe.
    Awkward and dangerous?? Really? Marty pretty much hit the nail on that head in his response. If you refuse to equip and use a slider properly, then you're introducing your own awkwardness and danger. With a Parallel Jig and hold down clamps, I would consider ripping lumber safer than on a cabinet saw. Your hands are not even close to the blade, you're out of the line of fire, and your cut will likely be smoother because it's not subject to manual variances in pressure against a fence.

Small pieces to cut? Fritz & Franz jig! There's nothing unsafe or awkward about it.

A slider is a different tool than a cabinet saw. It should not be used in the same way. With my slider, my hands never get within a foot of the blade - ever. I can't say the same of my cabinet saw when I still had it. You can prefer and use whatever you like, but to call something dangerous and awkward when you probably don't even know how to use it properly is kind of pointless.

I forget where the "one finger" comment came from, maybe a YouTube review. My point was that some people tend to get carried away with praise of the ICS base. For me, it's solid, well made and does what it's supposed to. It is subject to the same issues as other bases with four swivels - it can be a little ungainly to get it to change directions when it's loaded with a heavy machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    A slider is a different tool than a cabinet saw. It should not be used in the same way.
    I suppose so, although a video somewhere in this forum showed the guy using the sliding saw with his hand/fingers inches away from the spinning blade and Tom (the new Rough Cut) was seen using a cross cut sled on the slider as well.

The fact is sliding saws do not reduce the severity of a saw injury if and when it happens. Using a sliding saw does not by itself avoid saw injuries, just like using a non-sawstop saw does not mean injuries will happen.

Most hobbyists don't have the money or the space to put a sliding saw in their shops and unless they do, the SS is the safest option available.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Inconvenient would be a better word. The bottom line for me is that the SawStop's main feature of reducing the risk of injury isn't worth the $1,800 difference I paid. But I respect that is not the case for others.
    Got it. The safety brake was way down on the list when I got a SawStop. My main reasons were great dust collection, quality of build, power, and good riving knife & guard. But I was moving up from a 1.5 HP contractor saw.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    The Grizzly or the like CANNOT do all that the SS ICS or upgraded PCS mobile base can.

You can move the 500+-pound beast with the hydraulic mobile base even on carpeted floor, side way or forward or backward!

Simon
    Dude never said it could, did you miss the part where its only $56 lol.