Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best router bang for the buck?

Best router bang for the buck?

Hello everyone,

I am a noobie and am looking for a good router. I have been to lowes and then online for prices. I was surprised to find that the prices at lowes were in line with the online stores. Anyway- this is what I am looking at. I have decided to go with a plunge/fixed base for the versatility.

My choices are as follows:
    * Hitachi KM12vc
    * Bosch 1617evspk
    * DeWalt dw618pk
    * Porter-Cable 893pk

These all range from $200-$250, so $$$ is not the issue. What is the issue is the best for the $$$.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Whats your favorite color??

I think that would be as good a way to choose as any.
    The 4 you listed are all good machines and pretty near equal.
    You will find some who prefer each.
    Each may have strengths and weaknesses, that another may offset.
    Yellow is defineately not my favorite color. But I have bought the Dewalt 618 PK and plate jointer very lately and am confident they will serve me well.
    The deciding factor was Lowes offering the D-Handle base as a rebate, but then I think that offer goes with the Bosch as well provided you buy before Jan. 31.
    Last edited by Jim Dannels; 11-16-2005 at 9:13 PM.

decisions, decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Swickard
    Hello everyone,

I am a noobie and am looking for a good router. I have been to lowes and then online for prices. I was surprised to find that the prices at lowes were in line with the online stores. Anyway- this is what I am looking at. I have decided to go with a plunge/fixed base for the versatility.

My choices are as follows:
    * Hitachi KM12vc
    * Bosch 1617evspk
    * DeWalt dw618pk
    * Porter-Cable 893pk

These all range from $200-$250, so $$$ is not the issue. What is the issue is the best for the $$$.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.
    Hi Brian,

I narrowed my choices down to the Bosch and the PC...

I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK kit, and it came with the dust collection hood, router table height adjustment knob, and edge guide - all for $189 (a year ago on Amazon.com). The Bosch, along with the PC 893PK, scored at the top in FWW magazine (for whatever value you place on that review).
    Both the Bosch and the PC were considered capable routers to use in a router table setup, if you cannot afford a bigger dedicated unit.

With the Bosch, all you need is the template guide set to have pretty much full compatibility with PC - specific jigs. That adds around $20 though. I am not certain, but the PC may have an edge with being the defacto standard in terms of compatibility.

According to toolseeker.com, the Bosch is the best priced right now. I know they had some switch problems in the past, but that was addressed several months before my purchase. Generally speaking, Bosch power tools are of excellent quality. The wrenches included in the case are cast, not stamped like you'll often see...

Again, this is my experience, and others may speak differently. I don't think you'd go wrong with either Bosch or PC. Both are soft start, EVS units, and that's nice when you're doing a routing job by hand (as opposed to a table).

I bought the Bosch because everything was almost equal, but the price was better - by $50+ at the time...

Cheers,
    Marc
    Marc
    NWA Woodworker-Tech

I have Dewalt, Porter Cable & Bosch routers. All of mine are older than the current models. All have performed well. I have not used the Hitachi brand. I believe Dewalt has a 618 kit that includes a D handle base for for about the same price as the dw618pk. I believe the model is DW618B3.
    Any of the models you listed would be fine. You need to hold each one of them in your hands & get the one that has the best feel.

I would get the Bosch....I have about 8 routers and the Bosch is the best...there is even a Festool in the group You can plunge in passes hitting the release lever and make slots like for mortises...I think it is the only one that enables that operation. Joh Milunias was with me and saw how well that works..
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 11-16-2005 at 9:25 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Brian, though I don't have the Bosch, it's like Mark said: The effectiveness of the plunge capability on that thing is awesome! For router table work, I've got the M12V (not familiar with the KM12...) and that is just one super workhorse. I think a lot of guys out here use it that way, but it does not have the versatility of going to a fixed base. But, I've got other routers for fixed base use, my favorite being the Dewalt. The depth adjustment on the fixed base I believe to be one of the best.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Of the 4 (don't know how I would up with that many) routers I have, I find that I reach for the Bosch most often. I have a Festool 1400 that is a super router, but the Bosch seems to be the "go to" one.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

They are all good routers however, I would opt for the Dewalt or the Bosch and I would give the nod to the Dewalt over the Bosch mainly because of the feel of the router, the Dewalt is much more compact and is the nicest balance router of the Dewalt, Bosch and PC that I tried. I also like the plunge base the best on the Dewalt.

Corey

I have the older PC 690 stuff - plunge base and D-handle. I've been happy with it. Given that the cost difference between them really isn't that much when compared to a stationary machine, I'd buy the one that feels the best in your hands.

Smile Routers

I own or have owned everyone but the Bosch. I have used the Bosch however and don't feel it is anywhere as user friendly as the Dewalt. Also the Bosch I have used has not had a good reliability history. As for the PC, it has been a good router, but I find it is not as well balanced as the DW. Opt for the Dewalt and I don't think you will ever regret it!

My .02 worth!

Larry

Can't offer any insight into the Bosch or Hitachi, but I have both the PC 893 and the DW 618. Got the 890 first and was never thrilled with the plunge base on it. Finally got tired of taking the 890 out of the table all the time for hand routing jobs and got a 618 a couple of months ago. As others have mentioned, it has better balance and feel to it and a MUCH better plunge base IMHO. The 890 will stay in the table.

Those 12-amp, dual-base kits are tough to beat for flexibility, and the Bosch comes out on top in nearly every review.

If you want table-mounted power, I'd go with the Hitachi.

portercable has been the industry standard for lotsa years, my only one router vote goes to the 691. tod

I know almost nothing about anything, so take this with a grain of salt. I grew up with yellow, so it was a no brainer for me. I started woodworking about 10 months ago, and the DeWalt 618pk was what I chose. Read all the reviews, and yellow seemed to be near the top of all of them. I bought the pack with three bases. I have the fixed base mounted in a router table I made, and use the D-handle or plunge for hand work. Never having used a router, I found it to be fairly straight forward getting it to do what I wanted. The other models may be similar.

So, not having a clue, I have used the DeWalt with pretty darn good success. I have not used the others you have memtioned.
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.

Brian,
    Welcome to The Creek! As long as you are comparing routers in that price range, have you looked at the Makitas? They are very smooth running puppies.
    Maurice