Thread: Tempered hardboard as bench surface

Tempered hardboard as bench surface

Years ago I built a workbench frame. For the top I used 3 layers of 3/4" prefinished maple plywood. This surface has
    served me well for 10 years but it's time for a refresh. I'm considering using a layer of tempered hardboard
    on top of of plywood. This would be more easily replaced than the plywood and would provide a very smooth
    surface. I see several drawbacks:

1. it is dark. Not sure if this is an issue or not but I'm wondering if it would make visibility of small items
    a problem

2. It isn't nearly as water resistant as good prefinished maple plywood. Don't do much work with water but
    there is always condensation from the rare can of beer...

3. it is softer than maple ply

Has anyone else done something like this? It was suggested to me by a cabinet maker. He came up
    with the idea but had never tried it himself. He also wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not.

My benchtop is hardboard.

It's bulletproof. Softer than maple isn't an issue for the stuff I do but I can't see it being much of an issue otherwise.

My original logic 17 years ago was I would just lift it up and replace it when the time came. I use my bench a lot and I've never needed to replace it.

You are right about water - you do need to move fast to dry whatever fell on it. The only caveat is that because it's dark, it makes some small objects hard to see.

But otherwise, I'd give it a hearty yea.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

I have tempered hard board or MDF on several work surfaces. I put a couple of coats of shellac on them. I also make them easy to replace after they get beat up.

I’d go for it. A lot cheaper than pre finished ply too.

Using tempered hardboard as a replaceable surface on a bench is a long-standing and popular technique. I don't think that the color will matter much functionally and while "standing water" isn't a good thing, even unfinished it's not going to be much of a deal. It's also heavy enough that you can just allow it's own weight to hold it down between carefully sized border elements that contain it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why don't you use the melamine coated stuff they use in showers. It is water proof, light colored, and hard board based. Granted it is slick however, a quick wipe with 100 grit should suppress that characteristic. Just don't get carried away.

I have a bench i made using a solid-core door from HD. I cut it and a sheet of hardwood to size then trimmed it with oak. Super strong, heavy, functional, and cheap. I like the dark contrast.
    One problem is both lowes and HD no longer sell 1/4” thick hardboard. Its like 3/16’s now. I had to go to a lumber store to find 1/4”.

For decades my benches have been covered with plain, tempered Masonite. Their dark, non-reflective, non-glare surfaces are easy on the eyes. And the soft material is easy on workpieces. Especially after some use, texture is perfect so stuff stays put and does not slide around.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Same here. I've been using tempered Masonite for over 25 years. I tack it on in a few places, and put on a coat or two of Danish Oil to give it some protection. It lasts several years before it gets beaten up enough that I flip it over and get a few more years out of it before a total replacement. I feel no remorse sawing or routing into it, even drilling holes through it when need be to anchor something firmly to the bench. When I flip it over I fill any holes in the underlying maple bench top with Bondo.

John

Years ago I could find tempered hardboard that was smooth both sides but no more. The stuff with the rough side is no where near as durable for my uses - at least in flexing. Loved the double sided stuff for jigs, shop drawer bottoms and many other uses. As for use as bench surface it still works well. I have a small assembly table with it and the top is at least 10 years old now with no need for replacement.

So speaking of hardboard does anyone know of Duron tempered hardboard. In the old days it was the best of the hardboards. It disapeared and always wondered if someone bought it or revived it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    So speaking of hardboard does anyone know of Duron tempered hardboard. In the old days it was the best of the hardboards. It disapeared and always wondered if someone bought it or revived it.
    I just Googled Duron "tempered hardboard." Woodcraft Manufacturing in the Cincinnati area carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Kelly View Post
    Why don't you use the melamine coated stuff they use in showers. It is water proof, light colored, and hard board based. Granted it is slick however, a quick wipe with 100 grit should suppress that characteristic. Just don't get carried away.
    This stuff is pretty much indestructible. Nothing sticks to it, it's great for glue-ups or finishing. It doesn't scratch and it cleans up easy, especially with a magic eraser (melamine foam).

Unfortunately, I was at Home Depot a couple of months ago to buy a 8x4' sheet and couldn't find them. Asked a worker and he said they stopped carrying it because "it didn't move". The Lowe's version is inferior, but that may be the only local choice left.

Blog Entries
    Dad's bench is tempered hardboard over ply going on ten years. My assembly / outfeed is tempered hardboard over ply. My bench is MDF and it is almost as dark once treated with BLO and wax. The color has been a non-issue. Never really thought about it although I have had maple benches before.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My bench is three layers of 3/4 MDF with a white-coated tempered hardboard top. I love it. The white coating helps with seeing things, and wood glue doesn't stick. I write notes or guides on it with sharpie then just wipe it off with alcohol.