Thread: Interesting bending technique

Blog Entries

Interesting bending technique

We visited the Marietta Museum of Art and Whimsy in Sarasota today and they had some furniture that you could sit in and relax. Really good workmanship, looked like mahogany? Curved glide supports were laminated. Matching chair, rocker and glide. The back slats of the chairs had a double bend that was accomplished by (apparently) band sawing 4 narrow kerfs then inserting glued veneer in the slots and pressing them in a mold (zoom in on the middle pic). So the top of the slats were solid, only the bottoms would show the laminations. Never saw that technique before. Very craftsman like. And comfortable. You had to look very carefully to notice the laminations. Back slats on the glider were three laminated thin strips. Can you buy (or how would you make) veneer the thickness of your band saw kerf?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

I made a swing somewhat like the one in your pictures. I did laminate bending and cut the laminates on my table saw. I think the back and seat were three laminates. No problem with cutting them on the table saw except for the waste because of the thickness of the blade. Mine was designed to be supported with chains.

Swing 002.jpg

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That's an elegant design! Getting thin veneers isn't too much of problem with a drum sander or by using a sled with your planer. The trick to getting thin pieces on a planer is to start with sharp blades, ensure that the pieces are held down to the sled either with side clamps or carpet tape, and most importantly--only take off very thin amounts with each pass, especially as you get close to your final thickness. I've been able to get down to 3/32" running red oak and Doug fir (not easy woods to make veneers with) through a DW735. There was, however, quite a bit of waste created either at points where grain changed direction and was pulled up by the blades or on the leading and trailing ends when the material isn't making full contact with both the input and output feed rollers.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 04-27-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Easy with the Accu Slicer. http://www.accu-slice.com/accu-slice-system.html

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Colombo; 04-27-2018 at 11:04 AM.

that is a really cool tool

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    that is a really cool tool
    Just short of $700 to put one on my little 14" saw. Given that a sharp blade on a well tuned saw with a plain fence will get me veneer to less than 1/128" thickness variation, I don't see the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post

Looks like a nice tool. Price is a little steep for the uses I'd have for it. Can you post some of what you've built with it so we could all see.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Wood bending is something I always wanted to try but never have, maybe I'll add it to my bucket list.

first I cut the veneer, then glued and cut to size, cut segments, glued into rings and turned.

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

This was my first attempt at making the veneer and as you can see there are some glowing errors but later attempts turned out much better. However, no pictures.
    Last edited by Jim Colombo; 04-29-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Beautiful work! Looks like it was a good investment for your shop, too. Thanka for posting.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”