Thread: Grizzly Jointer Question

Question Grizzly Jointer Question

Hello!

I have a question, but first I thought I'd introduce myself. I've made a couple little posts so far, but I'm mostly just overwhelmed at all the knowledge and brain power here. You guys are good!

I've been slowly accumulating tools for years in the hopes of really getting into word working. I'm doing pretty well on the tool collections, but I'm still trying to master the art of finding time to use them. Between a job, wife, 2 kids (with one on the way) and an older house with a list of projects as long as my arm - it's a challenge.

But, I've been forcing myself to take the time lately and luckly some of the house projects will overlap.

Now the question... I would really like to get a jointer in the near future and today our yearly bonus was announced. I'm thinking of the Grizzly G1182HW (6" x 47"). The price is about where I want it. I read some reviews and the general feeling I'm getting is that it's a good jointer, except for the stand and the assembly instructions.

I'd like some hear some of your opinions and thoughts. Most of my larger tools are Delta, and this would be my first Grizzly.

If it helps, the big project I'm really gearing up for is a kitchen makeover. Part of the plan involves new cabinet doors (27 of them) new drawers (20 of them) and possibly refinishing or refacing the rest of the woodwork. I'm figuring a jointer would really help with this.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts.

-Jarrod

Welcome to the Creek, Jarrod! Yup, I agree...Most of the other folks out here really are pretty smart and knowledgeable. BUT, I'll still try and give you my $0.02.

First of all, I had that same Grizz jointer. Dollar for dollar, probably one of the best deals out there! However, (you just had to know that was coming!) if you have the room and can swing it financially, I would very seriously consider going to an 8" unit off the get-go. I originally bought my 6" unit simply because, I did NOT have the room! Once we moved and I got into a larger shop, it went to a buddy of mine and I got an 8" unit. Quite frankly, even though I love my DJ20, I still wouldn't mind and could use something larger yet! It sounds as though you're setting up for a lot of work there and, if you're trying to watch your budget, you'll be buying rough lumber and the larger jointer would really help toward that effort.

If you're in a position where only the smaller one will do, I wouldn't hesitate going for that Grizz. You're right about the cabinet and instructions but, definitely not insurmountable. A little common sense goes a long way in that area. Good luck on whatever unit you decide on, as well as all those house projects! I'm in the middle of a real similar situation!

BTW, where West Central WI are you??? (Just curious... )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,
    Thanks for replying.

I just looked up the 8". It's a beaut, but space and $ is a bit of an issue. Now after I submitted my post, I'm eyeing up the G1182Z. It looks like they fixed the light-weight stand issue and it's not much more money.

Where in West Central WI? Arcadia. Between Eau Claire and LaCrosse, not far from the River. I'm employed by Ashley Furniture. Unfortunately the only thing I get to build there is computer code.

Jarrod, John said it. If you can swing the 8" then you should. I think most of us here at the creek have found ourselves "re-buying" tools when we discover that the one we bought is just not enough to do what we discover we really want to do. Typically it is the contractor saw, then the cabinet saw, the 6" jointer followed by the 8" (or on some cases the 12-16" J/P combo) and the shop vac, dust collector then the cyclone. It's always cheaper to get the biggest and best you can the first time.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Hey Jarrod,

I recently saw in a woodworking magazine that grizzly is coming out with a new 6" jointer in Jan for $325 and the switch is on a post above the table. If you can wait that long It might be worth it. I am with the others and if you can afford it buy an 8". I had a 6" but with the price of stell increase and the deals that grizzly offered I was able to sell the 6" for the same price I paid for it and get the 8" for only 173.00 more. Try juggling some numbers to see what you can do. If not go for the Grizzly 6" I have several of there machines and would buy more. Good Luck

Tim

Hi Jarrod...
    Right now, I am an engineer turned professional woodworker. Its a gig i am doing while I take care of my elderly mother and I may go back to engineering when she passes away. For now, I do serious kitchens for well to do clients in mostly colorado ski resort towns. So I can give you my opinion on this subject.

The jointer is about accuracy. It does not plane wood to thickness. It does not rip wood. It does not shape wood like a moulder or shaper. All it does is provide two flat surfaces that are orthogonal to each other. Ya, it can also bevel an edge and I guess you can even use it to rabbit although I am still looking for someone who does rabbits like this. But this accuracy is the basis for everything else you do. So a good jointer is vital. Now, some will say you dont need one. True. You can also use a #7 or #8 hand plane (skills required here) or you can set up a router table to work as a jointer (talk about kludges).

The jointer I use the most for this work is a 1961 20 inch Porter 300 which I bought used. It is a real treat to have a larger jointer available when you need it. But what smaller jointers would I personally recommend?

In the 6 inch class, without a doubt. The Delta DJ-15.

In the 8 inch class, without a doubt. The general 480 (made in canada).
    or The Delta DJ-20.

I am personally very unhappy with the majority of other jointers out there. 'nuff said. These may cost a bit more than you had figured but any one of these three will leave you quite satisfied and very very happy.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.