Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "New" (1940) Unisaw Gloat

"New" (1940) Unisaw Gloat

<table class="infoTable" width="100%"> <tbody><tr class="HomeInfoSubTable"><td width="100%">
    </td> </tr> <tr class="HomeInfoSubTable"> <td width="100%">I Bought this Unisaw from school shop auction for $275. It came painted Green and Yellow and very dirty. I took it apart, stripped off about 4 different colors of paint (started Delta gray, then off-white, then orange, then green & Yellow) and repainted Delta gray. I found original Delta cabinet door label under green paint and original tilt guide serial number M271. I did a little research on and found out that the "M" series was the start of the continuous base after the four-footed models and it appears that it was made in 1940. I also came with the original 1HP 1725 RPM bullet motor. I fired it up, once painted and lubricated and it runs smooth as ever. I intend to use this as a replacement to my old Delta contractors table saw. I will probably upgrade the motor to 3 or 5 HP sometime in the next few months. Another bonus is that it came with a HTC Brett-Guard table saw guard. I looked this up and noticed that this alone sells for about $300 at Woodcraft. That's worth more than I paid for the entire table saw.
    </td></tr></tbody> </table>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 09-30-2005 at 10:25 PM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

That's a keeper, Ernie, nice job.

Richard

Way cool!! Makes my trigger finger itch for some "ole 'arn." And my wife has started her Greek "stay away from the checkbook" dance.

John

John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Looks and sounds like a heckuva deal Ernie....Congrats! Hmmmm...Green and Yellow sounds like either a Packers or John Deere fan owned it at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    Looks and sounds like a heckuva deal Ernie....Congrats! Hmmmm...Green and Yellow sounds like either a Packers or John Deere fan owned it at one time.
    Steve:

It came from Northeastern High School in Elizabeth City, NC and their colors were green and yellow. I don't have fond memories of them since I played football at Perquimans County (the next town over). They were 4A and we were 1A so, needless to say, they brutally crushed us when we played them.

I thought of painting it something more interesting than gray but, when I realized how old it is, I thought the right thing was to restore it to its original condition as best as I could.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Awesome! I love the old repainted and tuned up table saws. Its a real beauty! Congrats.

Corey

I've got a clone of the saw you have, though mine is still in original paint and therefore is not so pretty. I should warn you that upgrading the motor to 3 hp. is going to require a bit of surgery on the cabinet. The new motor is smaller in diameter, but enough longer that the hole has to be expanded downward for clearance when the blade is tilted. (And, of course you will need a new motor pulley.) But the old 115 volt motor is as strong as you are likely to find for the rated hp. All parts were available when I tuned mine up a few years ago. If you do need bearings or an arbor, you can keep the saw as usable as a new one, although heavier with the cast iron base ring (and heavier sheet metal I think.) The saw dust door is a big help too especially if you are like me and periodically drop the arbor nut.

You may want to upgrade from the Jet Lock rip fence. I have a Vega, but there are plenty of other good ones. The bolt holes for mounting will be the same as in the current saw models. Similarly, the Beisemeyer splitter also installs easily. (Mine also came with the Brett Guard, (actually two of them) but I don't use it.)

You've got a great saw--thats for sure.

Yaaahhhhh Baby! Score City! Dats-ah-Keepppaaa!

You nailed this one! Excellent price point **AND** excellent machine. You even got the cast iron base ring with an orig. bullet motor. About the only thing I see missing is a replacement goose egg cover. These can be had from one of the guys on OWWM. He had a bunch of new ones cast in PA and he is selling them virtually at cost. Check the OWWM guys or Bill S. I personally dont need one right now so this bit of data isnt forthcomming.

Give the motor a good test drive. It may not be necessary to upgrade here. I have heard from many that the bullet motor performs as well as the new 3 HP motor. The bullet motor is an induction-repulsion motor and is significantly different in how its built. It is rummered that this motor has massively more plowing torque than the standard unisaw motor of today.

I have heard this from many sources including OWWM guys as well as folks at the woodworking show. Both show vendors and visitors. So replace the motor ONLY if you find a tad more power really needed. Then go straight to a 5 HP.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Talk about a score...that's a great saw and an even greater price. Nice job on the refurb, too.

- Vaughn

That is one tremendous deal you have there. Congrat's, and have fun with it.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Ernie. Great looking old iron. Steve's comment about the fence is right on. I had this same fence on my first TS, a Delta contractors saw purchased new in 1975. The rear of the fence will not accurately follow the front. And, the sheet metal fence itself, at least on mine, was not straight at all. A real PITA. That said, I used it with good effect until getting a then new Uni in 1992. Burned through 2 motors, etc. No DC other than a box under the saw. But, fond memories.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

very nice. as you know I really like the old iron. jee how are you going to cope without plastic handles on everything !

best wishes
    lou

This looks like a great project! I too love the look of old iron!

Upgrade....

I have the same saw, grew up with it. The original motor does fine with a good blade , but with hardwoods, it usually burns one edge. It just can't handle oak, ash, maple and the like. If you're ripping five quarter up, I usually had to make two passes. A buddy, (some buddy), burned up the original motor and I upgraded to a horse and a half. It sounded like a jet and I think the rpm is too much, actually. So, if you upgrade to a 3 or 5 hp, you probably will have to make the cabinet hole larger. And that fence is worthless. I hate that thing. Slap a Beismeyer or something on it, quick.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Nice Gloat!!! I love old iron.