Thread: Resorcinal curing

Resorcinal curing

I face-joined two pieces last night using Weldwood 2-part resorcinol, then realized this morning the temp dipped down into the 30s (but above freezing) last night.

After 12 hours, is it too late to throw some heat on the joint?

Thanks,

James

it should have cured after 12hrs anyway. heat the shop for your comfort. tod

Opps! At this point, the best thing to do is apply a bit of warmth and give it about 24 hours to see where your at. Then lightly test the joint to see of there was any temperature damage. It takes about 12 hours to cure so you should be O.K. But I never risk glue and I always give glue the loving warmth it deserves. So this is a question I have never had to answer. In the future, try to keep your glue joints a little warmer.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Here is a quote from the DAP/Weldwood Resorcinol spec sheet:

"Resorcinol waterproof glue is a room temperature (70°F to 95°F) curing adhesive, but can cure faster at higher temperatures (95°F to 190°). Poor bonds result from use below 70°F. Temperatures of the bonding surface and working area, as well as the adhesive, should be above 70°F."

We used to use this adhesive frequently in the shop I was involved with and can verify that use below 60-65 degrees will result in poor adhesion. I don't know if heating the item will help. You might want to contact DAP/Weldwood and ask them.
    Howie.........