Thread: Jointer fence handle help

Jointer fence handle help

I have a 50’s Craftsman 6” jointer I’m restoring. It came complete except for the fence lock handle. The previous owner used a couple washers and a screw. I know what the original handles look like but can someone show me how they attached. If anyone has one lying around I’ll buy it as well. I have pictures but I can’t seem to get them to attach

Edit: never mind, the pictures worked
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would guess it used a Kip (sp?) lever.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I think you’re right. I’ll be ordering one, thanks.

Many of the old joiners that were based on Delta joiners had a long hex head bolt with no threads on the upper half under the head and a nut on the threaded end. The handle was a double ended deep socket the same shape inside at both ends and with a lever handle attached to the side. The wrench fit both the nut and the hex head and could be slid in or out to engage one or the other. Tightening the bolt head locked the horizontal position of the fence and tightening the nut locked the fence tilt position. I have a Woodtek that uses this design and I'll try to get and post a few photos later today when I get to the shop.

Charley

Zach,

You can probably google the model number and find the manual on line with part numbers.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Zach,

Sorry for the delay. This turned out to be more involved than I remembered, but it's been about 30 years since I've had this part of my jointer apart.

I have fully disassembled my jointer fence assembly and I now have 8 photos plus a very rough drawing of all of the pieces. Since this is so large, how about sending me a PM with your email address, and I'll send the photos and diagram direct to you.

The first photo is attached, so you can see what it looks like. I'll send all and the parts drawing direct to you.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 05-04-2018 at 5:44 PM.