Thread: Shank extender for bormax bits

Shank extender for bormax bits

I have a 1 1/16” famag bormax bit that I use for boring out peppermills. It cuts like a dream but it has a hex shank and I have not been able to find a shank extender for it. Does anyone know where I could get one? Thanks

If the hex shank is standard 1/4", then the extenders they sell for spade bits should work. You can find the spade bit extenders at your local neighborhood borg.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Craft supplies has some heavy extenders in various lengths. I use them for deep vases.

I use a piece of 1/2" steel rod, drill out the appropriate side hole on one end, then cross drill and tap for a set screw to lock the bit in place. I use my collet chuck when drilling the hole in the rod to get it centered.

Douglas, what size of hex is it, we need the size to make a proper recommendation? If it is the same size as the Forstners bits are, then extensions are available at lots of places. Harbor Freight and Lee Valley has them, along with numerous other suppliers. I bought an extension for my Forstner bits last year, I got it from a supplier here in Canada. I'm not sure which one, but I know I only paid around eight dollars for it.

Famag does supply extensions for their forstner bids, for the size mentioned the hex is probably 10mm, but have a look here, they show what they have.

Famag Bormax bits.jpg

https://www.fine-tools.com/bohrer-verlaengerung.html
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 05-03-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Would a long 10mm socket and extension bar work?

Blog Entries
    Famag makes one for it, they actually sell on Amazon.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Buckley View Post
    It would drive it alright, but there is the problem of retracting the drill bit several times when drilling the deep holes to clear the shavings, and it would pretty hard to used a setscrew in a socket.

But as I pointed out famag does make and supply extensions for their bits, that’s the best way to go IMO.
    Have fun and take care

The Bormax bits I use have a 7/16" hex shafts that is not that common. That's why I put the link to Woodcraft. They have Bormax extensions, Lenox and Milwaukee also have the proper shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Buckley View Post
    Probably not very well. Sockets and extensions have built in play. That would mean the bit would wobble and not be as predictable as if it was in the proper extension with the set screws tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    The Bormax bits I use have a 7/16" hex shafts that is not that common. That's why I put the link to Woodcraft. They have Bormax extensions, Lenox and Milwaukee also have the proper shafts.
    All Bormax drill bits have metric sized shafts even the older inch sized bits have metric shafts, depending size they are 8 mm or 10 mm, or 13 mm with one that is 12 mm, according the catalog I have.

extension sizes.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 05-05-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    Have fun and take care