Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low price: Makita 118 inch guide rail

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The black splinter guard replacement strips from Makita also work with Festool rails. The 118" one is 1/3 the (rip-off) price that Festool charges.

https://www.toolnut.com/makita-19441...ent-strip.html
    and it actually sticks!!

Thanks John,

I knew it was a great deal, but couldn't remember the exact price. I would not be surprised if I can't sell the DeWalt for what I paid.

Mike,

I will give you two examples of my (hobbiest) track saw use. First and foremost, because of age and injuries, there is no way I can lift a sheet of ply onto my TS by myself. I can however, bring home the plywood, and slide it off my pickup one sheet at a time, onto a couple sawhorses and slice it in half with the track saw for storage, or to whatever rough size needed for a project.

In many cases, making simple shelve units, I can actually cut to final width cleanly right there. Actually, when I made white melamine shelving units for our pantry, I cut all the pieces to final width with the track saw. That would be five 8' High cabinets with shelves, plus four smaller ones, all with the track saw. The edges were clean enough to edge band with oak trim.

Second example, of something smaller....I cut three sets of tiny, 5 sided shelves out of solid wood. These were in a special wrap around cabinet. Each set of four shelves was slightly different, with sides that were about 8"X2"X7"X3"X2". Not being an engineer, I made three templates of cardboard, and traced the lines on the wood, trying to keep the grain in the best direction. I then set a scrap of 1/4" ply on my workbench and set the saw to cut deep enough to cut the oak, but not the bench. Then I laid the short rail on the line and cut each of the five sides for each of the 12 shelves individually. Yes, I cut several 2 inch cuts with the track saw.

The shelves then got edge routed in the appropriate places, and fit perfectly. All done with the track saw.

Edit: Bonus example. On the above mentioned wrap around cabinet, one side was cabinets wrapped around the outside of a bayed kitchen counter. To build the top of the counter on the kitchen side had strange angles also. Simple measuring of the long and short sides of the angles allowed me to simply lay the track saw on the measured marks and cut the weird angles correctly the first try.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-05-2018 at 4:32 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    What is the need for a track saw? What do most of you track saw owners use them for? Cutting plywood sheets down? I'm just curious. Thanks!
    Long perfectly straight cuts. I never knew what I was missing until I got mine. I use it all the time now.

Makita's doing 20 off 100 now...

I just bought one today on Toolnut for $179 and free shipping. This is a great Deal considering the Festool is $355.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

I have read multiple times that the makita tracks work with Festool...but I own a makita and haven’t tested this. Check the Festool owners group.

My Festool TS 75 works perfectly with Makita tracks. I have both track brands and can even join them when needed.
    Last edited by Roger Bull; 05-17-2018 at 6:32 PM.

Anyone here who has Festool saw and other Festool tracks get the Makita track and can tell me if the saw friction knobs have to be adjusted when you switch between Festool and Makita guide rails?

Thanks
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lemley View Post
    Anyone here who has Festool saw and other Festool tracks get the Makita track and can tell me if the saw friction knobs have to be adjusted when you switch between Festool and Makita guide rails?

Thanks
    Jack
    Mine have to be adjusted very slightly between tracks to get the exact same tightness. However that is the same as between my same brand tracks (Festool to Festool and Makita to Makita).

The difference is so minor that I usually don't bother other than testing how it feels before the cut.